Southern Colorado road trip in September

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Colorado road trip in September

Hello everyone! My husband and I want to travel to Southern Colorado from the Oklahoma area. We are in our 70’s so wouldn’t be doing long hikes but a few miles is doable. We are thinking we would like to ride the Durango Silverton train or something similar, maybe enjoy a hotel with some hot springs, see a cliffside dwelling if they aren’t too hard to get to, and we always enjoy unique shopping, tasty food and drink, and beautiful scenery. Our time in the area will be open ended and I appreciate any help and advice anyone wishes to share very much. Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 02:27 PM

September is a perfect time to visit the Rocky Mts. Most of the tourists are gone but the weather is still warm. When you are in Durango to ride the train you will be only 40 minutes from Mesa Verde National Park which has cliff dwelling and kivas. When in Durango you can go to the San Juan National Forest Headquarters office and a forest ranger can tell which trails to hike on given your interests and abilities.Durango is a lively town with plenty of good restaurants.For scenery you can go on the San Juan Scenic Byway.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Jul 7th, 2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ll be checking for some lodging in this area. If anyone had any further tips or suggestions they will be much appreciated! 🥰
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 08:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Another scenic steam train option:
https://cumbrestoltec.com

the sandhill crane migration should be going on then. A world-class wildlife event if your timing is right.
https://www.fws.gov/media/sandhill-c...ing-guide-2024

Great Sand Dunes NP is not far from there.