Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Southern California with teens. Help needed!
Notices

Southern California with teens. Help needed!

May 6th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Southern California with teens. Help needed!

Hello all!

We are hoping to travel to Southern CA for one week, end of July. Traveling with DH, 17yo DS, and 15yo DD. Have traveled Palm Desert, San Francisco and Napa. I was thinking about the San Diego area. Should we stay in one location, and venture out for day trips? We love a beautiful resort property, with lovely pool, beach access would be important. Nice restaurants, walking etc. Please, all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
May 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Have you looked at the Del Coronado Hotel? A bit pricey but has all you mentioned and more!!
May 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

I did look at the Del. Some mixed reviews though. How about the Ritz Carlton on Dana Point, or the Torrey Pines?
May 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Ritz is in Orange County; not San Diego. Lodge at Torrey Pines is very nice but not really a place for teenagers. Plus it really isn't walking distance to things.

Here are some suggestions for San Diego for Teens:

1. The Mission Beach/Mission Bay area teens would probablly like since they could bike to the boardwalk and Belmont Park. Hotels in that area that are more resort like would be the Paradise Point Resort; Mission Bay Hilton or Hyatt (I think it goes by the name Islandia).

2. Del Mar Area is up the coast past La Jolla and there is a hotel near the village called L'Auberge Del Mar. Beach is just down the street and there are a lot of places to walk to. If you stay in Del Mar you just have to be careful about timing since the SD Fair and Races at Del Mar Track could create extra traffic.

3. La Jolla is very nice. There are some nice resorts right at the shores such as the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and the hotel next door which name I can't remember. I think it is called the "Shores at La Jolla." The La Valencia is nice but may be a bit too stuffy for teens. If you stay in la jolla at the shores you could rent kayaks or bikes.

4. Coronado also has the Lowes. My teens like the place when we do our staycations. The beach is just across the street. Only problem with the Lowes is that it is really not within walking distance. You could also stay at the Marriot but it really is more on the bay side rather than beach.

Hope this info is helpful.

Search this Thread