Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Making the most of my first trip to LA!! Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to have 8 "kid-free" days in LA in late May. Was wondering what you fodorites might suggest for a young couple to do in a short amount of time? What would your top picks be? We've even thought of going to a taping of a show? What would you suggest? Restaurants, beaches, must see places, etc... We want to make the most of our short time on the west coast, but we can't do eveything. Would love to get some great suggestions.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM

There a lots of threads dealing with L.A. and California in general, just click on my name and several will come up.

One thing that's often suggested is flying into San Diego, Santa Ana or LAX, and flying OUT of San Francisco or Oakland...and making the drive up the coast of California.

dk.com has one of the best pocket guides for Los Angeles with decent maps and loads of ideas for what to do and where to eat and stay. I think it's called TOP TEN LOS ANGELES.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Have a look at the main guidebook section of this site. Fodor's has a number of suggested itineraries to make the most of your time.

What it might not tell you is that the weather in late May in Southern California and the coast is very likely to be heavily overcast for days on end. That's the normal springtime weather-- we even have names for it: "May gray" and "June gloom" (which sometimes can persist as late as August).

The other thing to be aware of is that Los Angeles isn't a "place" like most other cities. It's more like a collection of places randomly scattered around an enormous area. There is no such thing as a "central location" where you can base yourself and explore. If you're determined to check off an extensive "must see" list, be prepared to spend a lot of time stuck on the freeways. If you're easygoing and low-stress people you might enjoy it because it's the most "typical LA experience" you could hope to encounter. But if you're not so easygoing it could make your trip miserable.

You need to do some research and advanced planning. Decide what interests you and where those places are on a map. Then choose some locations near those places and spend a few days in each. Your trip will probably be much more pleasant if you move around rather than commuting.

As for recommendations, you need to identify what you're interested in. You can find practically anything in LA if you're willing to spend the time driving to it!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Manhattan Beach & Hermosa Beach for a great walk/bike ride on The Strand and fun little boutique stores. Lunch at the Montage in Laguna Beach for awesome views in a swanky hotel. Lunch at Venice Beach where you might just decide to add to your piercing and tattoo collection...
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Highlights of my visit: bargain hunting in the garment district(complete w/ bartering!), a visit to the Norton Simon museum and lunch in lovely Pasadena; just driving the coast and stopping in Malibu, Santa Monica and Venice Beach, lunch at Paradise Cove in Malibu (food just average burger joint, but tables outside right in the sand on a gorgeous strip of beach!!), seeing the Beverly Hills Hotel, studios, Hollywood sign and a zip down Rodeo Drive, great ethnic food, shopping and eating on Mexican Olvera Street, watching the sunset over LA from the top of a hill in Burbank at Castaway's restaurant (outdoor dining)....Have fun! If you've done Disney in Florida I wouldnn't feel the need to see it in California. IMHO.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Oh yeah, valet your car at The Beverly Wilshire (hotel from "Pretty Woman"), have a drink at the hotel lobby bar then walk through the shops on Rodeo Drive and drool over Sergeo Rossi shoes among other things...