Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southern Cali itinerary, Laguna Beach, Newport, San diego...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Palm springs for 3 days at La Quinta Resort but think we want to spend another 3 days somewhere else...probably by the water but not sure. Should we go to San Diego since I've never been or is Catalina or Laguna an even better vacation choice? We are going at the end of April. Our priorities are great food, great scenery (beach, mountains, you name it we like it), we love to walk around and explore but not interested in museums or shopping. Never been to California so I'm so lost and your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM

Hi,
We did a similar trip last year. The highlight of our trip was staying at the St. Regis in Dana Point. Beautiful!The Monarch Beach Club is a must for dinner. Other hotels in Laguana looked nice too, like the Montage and Surf and Sand. However, I thought the St. Regis was worth every penny.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

We'll help if you promise to not call the Golden State "Cali" ever again. We're not the capital of Colombia and you're not a washed-up mid-80s rapper... are you?

Catalina Island is a lovely place, but note: It's a 26-mile boat ride to get there, a 26-mile boat ride to get back. Great scenery, not known for great food. However, it's pretty unique.

San Diego is a big city and there are lots and lots of things to do there. The many SD locals on this Forum can suggest detailed itineraries.

Laguna? Beaches, great eateries, a cute downtown area (but watch out-- lots of art galleries!). Gorgeous scenery.The Montage Resort is heart-stoppingly expensive, but worth every single penny. The Surf & Sand is pretty nice, but for the money the Inn at Laguna Beach is a stunner.

The St. Regis in Dana Point is just south of Laguna, and it's a very nice resort. My problem with it is that it's across PCH and a long schlepp to the beach. In fact, it's basically across PCH from the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, which is a lovely property too and on a bluff overlooking the beach (it's a downhill walk).

Spring is starting cool and rainy, so we're having a bit of freakish weather lately. I would hope that things would clear up by the end of this month, but be prepared for less-than-stellar beach weather.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

OK Thank you...I won't use Cali again. I'm just lazy and didn't want a really long title. thank you guys for the input. Sounds like Laguna or San Diego will be great for us.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM

Aw, I'm just kiddin' with you....

You'd best settle on your target price for lodging-- neither city is very cheap. That will also help hone in on the best part of San Diego for you to stay in (Coronado vs Mission Beach vs Del Mar or Carlsbad vs other parts of SD).
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although the song says"26 miles across the sea..", Catalina is only 21 miles from San Pedro. About an hour in fair weather. I love it over there,it's a different world from SoCal. The water is incredibly clear and full of life.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM

"Never been to California"... is what inspires me to urge you to go to San Diego for your other 3 days.

San Diego has some of the best, most dependable weather anywhere in the U.S. and as California cities go it is big enough to 'matter' and considerably safer than L.A. and less expensive than San Fran.

The Gas Lamp district for food and people-watching on perhaps two of your nights... the beaches both west and north of S.D. for great scenery.

Downtown San Diego is great for just walking around and exploring by day.

If it is your first trip to California then you really should try one of the big cities.