Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

South Shore Line or USACoach bus to Chicago O'Hare from Michigan City

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the most economical way to go to O'Hare airport from southwest Michigan?

My husband and I are considering flying out of O'Hare airport to Amsterdam after a short stay in St. Joseph, Michigan this October. We don't want to drive and park at the airport for our 25 day vacation. Since my husband retired we have more time than money so want to stretch our travel dollar

My research shows that we can take the South Shore train from Michigan City to Millenium station but after that I'm not sure the easiest way to get to the blue line that would take us to O'Hare. Is there a way to do this that won't involve multiple train transfers or walking blocks with luggage between stations?

Another option I found by doing a search was the USACoach bus to O'Hare, also from Michigan City. The cost would be about $50 R/T per person.

I just can't seem to get our luggage down to carry on only so we would each have a 24 inch suitcase but I don't know if we can take that on the South Shore train.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Deborah
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM

The South Shore Train is basically a commuter train with limited space for luggge especially during normal rush hours. During off peak hours most time luggage can stay with you on the seat as the train should be less crowded.
The Chicago station is at Randolph Street at Millennium park and is about a four block walk to Deaborn and the Blue Line to Ohare.
The coach USA bus will provide space for luggage under the bus and it will go to Ohare (Sometimes a bus change is required)
I would opt for the bus.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:25 AM

I'm assuming you mean you are having someone drive you to Michigan City to pick up either the train or the bus.

As the above poster mentioned, the South Shore is not meant for this type of purpose. The NICTD doesn't encourage even overnight parking and it is at your own risk.

I would also think that a vehicle left unattended for a lengthy amount of time anywhere would be considered abandoned and be towed away.

Agree that the bus is your best option IF you are going to have someone drive you there to meet it and pick you up.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we have someone able to take us to Michigan City which seemed the most convenient drop off/pick up location.

Thanks for the info about the South Shore train. I'll keep that in mind for a convenient way to get to Chicago from that area of Michigan. Deborah
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Also that train line is notorious for delays. I work with many people who live in that area and they drive further to take a different line than that one because it is so unreliable.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM

bertaron, the South Shore is notorious for delays and unreliable? I can see people saying that about Amtrak (which isn't a commuter train), though.

And what other train line is in this area? Are you talking about Metra way over by the state line?

BTW, I do know that the further west you get, the less likely you'll get a seat on the South Shore during the rush hour.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM

The most economical way is the South Shore. I think the one-way fare from MC is less than $8, and then the Blue Line would be another $2.25, or about $20 RT/person.

I've seen many people bring luggage on board the SS, large luggage, with flight tags still attached. Getting a seat in either MC or at Millennium Station would not be a problem -- too far east in MC to be crowded, and Millennium is the end (or beginning) of the line. And all of the trains have overhead racks, including the new double-decker cars.

However, as joethekay says, Millennium Station is at Randolph and Michigan, and the nearest Blue Line is several blocks southwest at Dearborn and Washington. So you'd have to schlep the luggage up and out of MC and then over and down to the Blue Line.

CoachUSA would definitely be more convenient luggage-wise, but twice as expensive.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Another option regarding the South Shore...it begins at the South Bend airport; there is a fee for parking, but the 25 days shouldn't be a problem. If you can get a free ride to the Michigan City Station, then you wouldn't have that cost. We took the SS into Chicago for a weekend stay (over a holiday weekend, not during commuter hours) with luggage and it was no problem at all.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

DeborahAnn, please note my entry of this morning on the following thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...to-chicago.cfm

Wasn't sure if you were still thinking about the South Shore as an option.