Arizona, Utah & New Mexico in May

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona, Utah & New Mexico in May

Hello Folks,

We are thinking of a 10 day trip (May 24 - June 2) to famous places, national parks in Arizona, Utah & New Mexico. Please advice us if it is a good decision to choose these places during that period (If not alternative ideas are appreciated).

Also advice us on how to plan the trip. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think that's a good time. Before it gets too hot.

I was in southern Utah and northern Arizona at that time.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Myer!

Can you suggest some places to visit? I am thinking of flying to PHX (better flight deals) and then taking it from there. I have heard of Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon (of course), Zion, Antelope Canyon.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Personally, I like the National Parks in Utah the best. Take maybe 1 afternoon and maybe spend the night at the Grand Canyon(see a sunrise and sunset). Then I'd head to Bryce, Zion, Arches. You could stop at Page/Antelop Canyon.

Your going to be hard pressed to find reservations for lodging at this late date. Is this for this year?
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yes its bit late but that is the reason I am seeking help from experts like you When you say "hard pressed to find reservations for lodging" do you mean @Grand Canyon? We don't mind staying little far away as well.

Please advice. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM

I mean "in park" at Zion, Bryce, Possibly Grand Canyon-At GC there are several options there. At Bryce you are limited to Bryce Lodge(which is what I would want) and Ruby's. At Zion, I would want Zion Lodge, but then there are options in the town of Springdale. If you can't find lodging at GC, you are going to be a long way from the park.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm...I have literally no idea about the lodging near the parks. Thanks for enlighting me on that...Will factor it in before planning our trip.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:26 PM

If you fly into Vegas, you can drive up to Zion try for in park lodging but if it is not available, there are plenty of places in Springdale. Do a day or two there then head to Bryce, in park has been my choice, but there is Ruby's near the entrance. Then you could head for Page, there are several chain motels there or head for the north rim of GC, the only very close place to stay is in the park, but there is lodging in Kanab then head for Page. I really prefer the South rim of Grand Canyon and there are several places in the park, but if they are all full, look in Tusayan for a motel or Cameron for Cameron Trading Post.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Make sure you book with the Official Park Concessionaire. Don't book thru a middle man. I think Xanterra has Zion and GC South. Forever Lodging is Bryce and GC North(I think anyway).
Ruby's is owned privately and is right at Bryce front door(not actually in the park but very close).
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:28 AM

Before making further suggestions I think knowing you interests would help.

General viewing, moderate hiking, intense hiking, photography, etc.

It makes a difference as to what I'd recommend.

Whatever you end up doing, it's quite late for inpark lodging. However, the good part is that much of the lodging is booked a year in advance before people really know what they can and cannot do.

There will be many cancellations and you've got to call every day and even twice a day to get them. If you are persistent then eventually you'll get what you need.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:25 AM

Allow at least a full day in the Grand Canyon to stroll along the South Rim. It is easy, pleasant and beautiful. Lots of interesting things to see besides the canyon itself, too. This is not a hiking trail but a paved path that is accessible to everyone.

At Bryce, if you like hiking and are in pretty good shape, the Queen's Garden Trail is spectacular.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

@Myer - Sorry for not being specific. We (I & my wife) are usually interested in general viewing, moderate hiking and photography. Our intention is to cover the best spots in the country...not very much bothered if we don't get a spot in the park.

But it looks like staying near South Rim is a must?
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM

Yes, the south rim is best for first time visits. And it may not be too late to get a place in the parks, but you'll have to be tenacious to find one. We scored a Bright Angel cabin on the grand canyon rim last summer just a few weeks before our trip by calling daily; people cancel everyday. It was actually a prime location complete with a view & chairs just outside the door. Nothing like having coffee watching the sun rise right outside your door.

Same thing can be true of all the parks but you have to continue calling daily.

If you can't get a place in Bryce, there's also a new(er)best western at the park entrance, right across from Ruby's, the older best western. We stayed there last year when we couldn't get into the park. Altho they're all owned by the same group, it's nicer than ruby's & includes full breakfast.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 06:49 AM

I would never tell a first-timer to skip the Grand Canyon. However, in my opinion and that of many others the Grand Canyon falls well below other sights in the area such as, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Page (Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend) and some of the trails surrounding (not in the town) the town of Sedona.

I think if you got there in time to see the sunset, woke up early and walked along the south rim as the sun came up, hiked 30 minutes down the Bright Angel trail and stop at a few viewpoints on the way out the east entrance/exit you will have seen way more than enough.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Comments re Lodging.

Flagstaff or even Williams are nicer than Tuyusan, but keep trying on the website for the S Rim. Bright Angel Cabins or Maswik are good options.

Kanab is a good intermediate spot between GC South and the next location. Just stayed at Canyons Lodge there, nice remodel of a roadside motel. In the morning you can try for the "Wave" hike permit in Kanab (for the next day). I might book 2 in Kanab.

I don't think its necessary to overnight at Bryce. You can reach Springdale in 90 minutes. Or return to Kanab in 90 for a second night if successful with the Wave.

At least 3 nights in Springdale/Zion. (I am here in Springdale now at La Quinta). (Nice discount on Priceline Express Deals).

If you have days to play with definitely take scenic byway 12 to Torrey and do some hiking at Capitol Reef. Not really sure that you have time for Arches since those who hike and take photos tend to travel more slowly!

A great resource for photographers is the series of guides "Photographing the Southwest". If you want it in advance it is best ordered online. I have found them in museum bookstores. It tells the best times to visit scenic spots as well as road and trail difficulty.

Hikes
Ooh Aah is better in GC South
Navajo/Queens Loop in Bryce
All of the hikes that are moderate in Zion, us Angels Landing to Scouts Rest.
Hickman Bridge in Capitol Reef.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM

I don't think you have time for all 3 states in 9 days.

Stick with southern Utah and the Grand Canyon. Try to arrange your itinerary to be at the less popular parks over Memorial Day weekend. That will make it easier to find lodging and see things, that weekend is pretty busy in Zion for sure and probably the Grand Canyon too.