South Rim to Las Vegas

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:35 PM
drl

South Rim to Las Vegas

In early May I will be traveling to Las Vegas after stays at Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I will have one night to spend somewhere between the two. Would my best bet be to go through flagstaff and over to Vegas or maybe go north and through southern Utah. I know that it's about 180 miles more through southern Utah but I have heard that Utah is a beautiful state. Any suggestions on which way to go or where to spend the night?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:21 AM
rqf

If you don't mind the extra miles go through Utah. Spend the night in Springdale, Ut and visit Zion NP.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Al

From Grand Canyon, take 64 to Cameron and turn north on 89, cross the Navajo Bridge and pass the Vermilion Cliffs to Jacob Lake. At Fredonia turn north past Kanab to Mt. Carmel Junction, then on to Zion on 9. Stay overnight at Springdale, as suggested. Get a reservation beforehand. Then over to St. George and on into Las Vegas via I-15. It's worth the extra miles. Pack a lunch and picnic along the way.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
joanie

If you want to travel through southern Utah, you could instead spend the night in Bryce Canyon. See if maybe you can't get a cabin in the park.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
rey

I woud vote for springdale/Zion over Bryce. In Springdale stay at the Desert Pearl Inn. Its terrific.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
joe

Going through southern Utah sounds like a lot of driving for such a short time period. Have you thought about maybe taking the train from Williams into the Grand Canyon, staying the night, coming back the next day and then spending the night there in Williams. My family enjoyed it.