South Padre Island

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Padre Island

Anyone have any Ideas for South Padre? Restaurants? Will be staying in a condo , so we can cook some nights.. Activities ..? What not to miss.? Also activities for the return trip to Colorado Springs ? I have heard the Hill Country is beautiful.. German themed areas?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM

You can find Texas tourist infomrmation and order a free travel guide at this site:
http://www.traveltex.com/downloads/t...r-travel-guide

For food, I recommend that you look at chowhound.com for the types of food you enjoy close to your condo and in your price range.

Texas is a big state with lots to see and do! You might want to narrow your options and then post again with specific questions.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:17 AM

No specific recs for South Padre [it's been a while so my suggestions would be outdated]

But on your return, would certainly recommend the Hill Country. Beautiful area. I'd focus on New Braunfels (German), Bandera, Kerrvile, Fredericksburg (German), Johnson City, Wimberley, then maybe up through Marble Falls.

You don't say when you're going, but late March, April are usually when the wildflowers bloom.

Check out www.texashillcountry.com
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM

SPT is a really great beach, but will be extremely crowded during Spring Break, so eating out is a challenge then if that's when you're there. However, most students do go to the better places, but all will still be crowded. The best place on the island is Wild Fork. I hate to give out the name since I go there every time we are at the beach and since it is very small, it is hard to get a table when the beach is crowded. But in all fairness to the restauarant I should tell you about it. Food is excellent. Right now they do not have beer and wine license, so you can bring your own wine. That will probably change soon, but if you're into wine stop by Ben's liquor and pick up a bottle and bring it with you. Sea Island is another rec. It is on the bay at the south end of the island. Much larger place with an active bar. Nice place with good selection of sea food. Plan on spending time if you go there. Since you can prepare food at your condo, I suggest picking up prepared gourmet food at Zeste. Nice place to browse thru for food, cheeses and great selection of beers along with the prepared food selection. A good lunch place is Dirty Al's. Mexican food - The Big Donkey. Pizza and Italian food - Gabriela's. Ice cream - several ice cream store. Activities? Walking on the beach is the best. Also rent a bike or rent beach buggy and drive up the beach to where you can drive on the beach. If you are there for several days you might want to drive into Brownsville one afternoon and go to the Gladys Porter Zoo. Not as big or fancy as San Diego, but one of the best around.
Have fun.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Sorry. Didn't proof my reply. SPI (South Padre Island), not "SPT".
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Your post has brought some fond memories thus just sharing.

In the very early 70s we lived close to Padre Island for a few months.
Often took time to relax on the beach. It was clean, beautiful and almost heaven.

But the best part was the beach had tons and tons of shells, especially sand dollars and sea urchins. I love them so much, I picked hundreds of them as they were huge in size and just so gorgeous.
I still have a good collection. They had survived many moves across the country.
Wondering if there will be still some beautiful shells for you to pick or at least admire.

Times have changed, I am sure there are more hotels, condos and restaurants and surely more people visiting.

Thus, maybe no more lovely shells.

Do write back after your trip. I am just curious to find out what is the latest at the place where I picked up true treasures I have admired for so many years.
Have a great time and enjoy the beach to the fullest.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Listen to Larry. He knows what he is talking about. I love the blackened fish tacos at Dirty Al's. I also really enjoy going out on the dolphin/eco tours. Several are docked right across the parking lot from Dirty Al's, and on the other side is Sea Island. Enjoy!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM

this is late reply to the OP, but perhaps it will help others traveling that way.
i was at SPI ladt June. What a great surprise--never having been there before.
the beach was huge, wide, long, clean and quiet! the windblown fences from the beachside road to the beach, reminded me of the E. Coast.
Food--try the Palms Cafe ( it is attached to a motel) Right on the beach,. Not huge menu, but GOOD food and atmosphere at table or the bar.
For shopping, try "One Particular Harbor" which has lovely items, most r/t beach/nautical. SO different from the many schlocky, touristy emporiums.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the recs..We are getting really excited now.. just about a month away.. YAY!
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Thinking of SPI for this summer so bumping this up to the top.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Glad you're excited about your trip down here, coloradousa. Thought I would update my previous post. Have been to SPI a couple of times since then. Of course went to Wild Fork. Great as usual and surprisingly not that crowded when we go early, around 5:30 to 6. We went with a large group to Daddy's Cajun Seafood. I don't eat seafood but had an excellent hamburger, which should not have surprised me since the place is owned by the Dirty Al's people.My group all ate seafood and loved it. Place is very crowded but large. Problem with it is it does allow smoking around the bar, so I would not return unless I was with a group that really wanted seafood in a casual setting. Then, because of the food, I would go.
While I also previously mentioned Big Donkey for Mexican food, I now have to add the comment that my last meal there was not only great, it was some of the best fajitas I have eaten in years. Thats quite a rec since living here in South Texas I eat Mexican food often.Also, they were able to handle our group of 10 easily.
Calinurse's post reminded me I had left out Palm Restaurant on the beach. I walk on the beach every day and love to stop there for breakfast in their palapa. Great setting and good Migas (although watch out for their jalapenos). When I walk in the afternoons I stop in at my earlier mentioned Zeste and have a beer (they have a huge selection of individual bottles) and a small package of their cheese offering.

If you see an old man walking on the beach with a UT cap on wave to me. I'll probably be down there. BTW, on your trip back home, don't miss Austin and a night or at least a drive through San Antonio.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Larry, we like to walk on the beach too! We will try out the suggestions that you gave. Really lookin forward to our time off. Especially since we had a blizzard in Colorado Springs today. 16" -20".. Crazy!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Bookmarking.