Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Oregon or North Oregon Coast with kids in August - which one? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-oregon-or-north-oregon-coast-with-kids-in-august-which-one-33741/)

julie Oct 24th, 1998 02:34 PM

South Oregon or North Oregon Coast with kids in August - which one?

We are planning on flying into Portland next August , and wish to spend most of the trip near the ocean 9beach combing, tidal pools, etc.) Also we will be with our 2 young children. Having never been to Oregon, which part should focus on - north or South? Are the sand dunes worth going to. We perfer smaller type condo/cabin type accomodations. Also what is the weather like in August near the coast? Is the Rogue River or Gold coast worth a visit? We also do not like crowded areas. <BR>

Shana Nov 6th, 1998 01:20 PM

<BR>We've been to the northern and central OR coasts. August, Sept and early Oct are the most likely to be sunny. The coast can be cool, so take sweatclothes or a light coat with a hood, but also take shorts. The water will be frigid, but you can find tidepools that are warmer in places, so take swimsuits. The northern coast has more people visiting, being closer to Portland. While the beaches north are wide and flat, the incredible cliffside beauty, with verdant forests, begins near Canon Beach and continues south. You can find much to do along the central and southern coast that you and your children would enjoy. Though I haven't been, I hear the dunes are well worth it. I'd recommend two books, Sunset's Oregon Travel Guide, published by Lane Publishing Co. (may be out of print) which gives you recommendations of the highlights along your route, including sights you might otherwise miss; and Northwest Best Places, published by Sasquatch Books. It includes great descriptions of places to stay, including a lot of out-of-the-way gems.

debbie Nov 6th, 1998 08:17 PM

I live near Portland, and I would say you should stay on the coast.First off, there will be a crowd, but the young ones and you will like Seaside, there is games and rides there for the little ones, as well as a little aquarium.the beach is also great.Also, go to Astoria, this is a neat little town. Also just across the bridge is Long Beach, WA., the kids will love it here, as there are rides and games, anf the beach is also great., back in Oregon, you must stop in Cannon Beach, Haystack Rock is a must see, and the beach is nice, Farther down the coast there are many things to do and see. The sand dunes are worth visiting, and the kids will remember the dunes. the temp. on the Oregon coast is in the 60's to the high 70's. As you can see I vote for the coast.

Angie Nov 8th, 1998 06:51 PM

Hey Julie: <BR> I live in Oregon as well. Seaside is great. I also recommend Lincoln City and Newport. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is still worth a visit even if Keiko is no longer there. There are some pretty private condos in Lincoln City called Dock of the Bay, they are reasonable and nice and right on the beach. I do not recommend Inn at the Spanish Head (in Lincoln city as well). It may look nice from driving by but that's all I can say about it. The rooms were way overpriced. Hope this helped!~

phyllis Nov 19th, 1998 05:33 PM

Julie: As a native Oregonian, I have spent a lot of time on the OR coast. My preference is the Yachats (pronounced "Ya-Hots") area. It is west of Eugene (which south of Portland). I find the Northern Coast too crowded and the weather is iffy. Just south of Yachats is an area known as Ten-Mile Creek. Two relatively inexpensive motels that I would recommend: See-Vue and the Ocean Haven. Ocean Haven has a web site with photos, See-Vue phone number available on Yachats website. <BR> <BR>You will find room rates 1/2 (at least) the cost of Seaside, Cannon Beach or Lincoln City. <BR> <BR>Also, be sure to book you rooms well in advance. Frequently all will be sold out by March-April. <BR> <BR>Weather is August in the Yachats area is lovely. It's an easy drive to the Oregon Coast Aquarium (approx. 30 miles) and Perpetua State Park has some great hiking trails. My favorite is the four-mile old-growth trail. <BR> <BR>The other issue on the coast in August is minimum stays. You will frequently find 2 to 3 night minimums. <BR> <BR>My favorite room at See-Vue is "The Crow's Nest" goes for about $60 per night, no kitchen, but a queen bed and two singles in one big room located on the roof of the motel. Big windows across the west wall give you a panoramic view of the coast. Bathroom is small with shower only. Little fridge and coffee maker are in the room. <BR>They also have kitchenette rooms as does Ocean Haven. <BR> <BR>The shore in front of these motels has great tide pools and the wayside "Strawberry Wayside" is only a mile and a quarter away. Visit at low tide for great tide pooling and viewing of sea lions. I would recommend against visiting the nearby Sea Lion Caves, by comparison is Strawberry Wayside it's expensive and the kids will complain about the smell at the bottom of the cave. Kind of a tourist trap. <BR> <BR>Also, the blackberries along the highway will be ripe and yours for the taking (remember as Mother says "Only pick and eat the berries growing above a man's waist!). <BR> <BR>Hope you have a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>Phyllis <BR>

sally Nov 19th, 1998 07:36 PM

If you don't like crowds then you should stick to the central or southern coast. Those Portland and Eugene folks flock the northern coast (and most of us southern Oregonians don't tell folks about the southern coast to keep it "ours"). It is much less visited by the masses. When you say Gold coast I assume you mean Gold Beach. Not my favorite place but it does have cheap motels. Wide beaches like at Waldport but no dramatic cliffs and huge rocks. <BR>Rogue river there is fine if you want to ride a jet boat (they leave from there). Bandon is another good choice (as is Yachats). Personally I love the dunes area near Reedsport. Very few people on the trails there. August will still be cool on the coast cause of the constant wind. Good for kite flying for the kids. If the kids are really young you will probably just see the dunes from the dunes overlook as it is very tiring walking through the dunes to the beach. Most little ones are'nt strong enough yet.

Theresa Dec 2nd, 1998 05:31 AM

Having spent many years in Oregon and having lived on the coast part of that time, I can say each has its advantages! If you decide on the north coast, I recommend Seaside B&B in Seaside and Surfrider Motel in Lincoln City/Depoe Bay. Both are reasonably priced and located directly on the beach. The Tillamook and Rockaway Beach areas are also nice--should be lower priced too. As for things to do on the north coast0: Astoria Lighthouse, Ft. Stevens, Haystack Rock, Tillamook Creamery, Newport Aquarium (formerly of "Keiko" fame), Wax Museum in Newport. As for the south/central coast: Florence is a nice area with dunes, sights, shopping. Yachats has a rocky coastline, not much beach to my recollection. Sealine Caves is something to catch the kids attention. Also, Bandon has a Creamery with tours. The best bang for your buck with activities for the kids is north coast. Good luck!

Jackie Dec 4th, 1998 04:09 PM

<BR>&lt;&lt;The Tillamook and Rockaway Beach areas are also nice--should be lower priced too.&gt;&gt; <BR>Tillamook has no beach because it's quite far inland. Other than the big cheese factory there is nothing to see there. As for Rockaway Beach......what a horrible pit of an excuse of a town. Ugliest place on the Oregon coast. The beach isn't even very nice, just flat and featureless.