Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Lake Tahoe - am I getting ripped off? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-lake-tahoe-am-i-getting-ripped-off-264669/)

Jen Oct 9th, 2002 10:02 AM

South Lake Tahoe - am I getting ripped off?

I was hoping someone could tell me if I am about to get ripped off. I, and a few college friends are planning a reunion in Lake Tahoe (South LT, Zephyr Cove area). The house if right on the lake and seems beautiful, well kept and the rental agency are the owners. They own about 10 properties in the area which seem to be a bit on the upscale side. In any case, I was quoted $400/night for the week 4/28-5/2. The house itself sleeps 8. Fire place, outdoor hot tub, the works. Does this sound reasonable, or should it be less, considering this is kind of the "off" season. Any input would be so much appreciated.

Monica Oct 9th, 2002 11:44 AM

I assume you've seen photos of the place and it's pretty upscale? It's really your choice, either you stay in this probably very nice place, or you do a bit more research and pick another place at a lower price. If you divide it out by the number of people, each person will spend $50.00 per week, which certainly sounds reasonable for lodging.

x Oct 9th, 2002 11:50 AM

HellloooooMonica, it's $400 per night for that week. Thats $1600 for 4 nights. If there are 8 of them it's $200. Since Jen said a few friends it's possible that they'll each pay $400 for the week.<BR><BR>During July we paid $1400 for 6 nights including tax and cleaning. It was high season but it was neither upscale nor on the lake.

helpful Henry Oct 9th, 2002 11:54 AM

Monica, I think your math might be a bit off. The price Jen quoted is $400. per nite. $400 x 6 nites divided by 8= $30 per person per nite or $180 per week. At that rate it still sounds like a good deal.<BR><BR>I would try a web search for other properties in the Tahoe area and use that as a comparison.

x Oct 9th, 2002 12:09 PM

Henry I did 4 nights as I assumed they'd vacate on 5/2 and there are only 30 days in april. so it worked out for the nights of 4/28, 4/29, 4/30 & 5/1 checking out on the 2nd.

lynette Oct 9th, 2002 12:16 PM

Go. Enjoy. You will see that there is no "off season" for Tahoe. It is beautiful all year round!<BR><BR>Lynette

Monica Oct 9th, 2002 12:20 PM

Whoops! I just reread your post and it's $400.00 per night. That would be $2800.00 for the week, which is certainly higher than I've ever heard of a house being. I suggest you keep looking.

J Correa Oct 9th, 2002 12:20 PM

I checked into a couple places I've stayed to see what the current rates are.<BR><BR>At Zephyr Cove Resort, a cabin which sleeps 8-10 people is $350/night. <BR><BR>At Lakeland Village, which is in South Lake Tahoe, lake front condos which sleep 8 people start at $260/night and go up from there.<BR><BR>Since you are getting a full house on the lakefront rather than a condo or a cabin, with a hot tub and a fireplace, you would expect to pay more than the rates that I found. So 400/night seems reasonable. <BR>

janis Oct 10th, 2002 01:54 PM

That is not toom much. Amazingly - on the Lake at Zephyr Cove $400 is actually a bit of a bargain. <BR><BR>If you were several blocks from the lake at S. Shore or up at Incline you could pay 1/2 that. But not for a lakeside house.

Jen Oct 11th, 2002 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I feel very comfortable with our decision to go and stay at the house. We are all pretty excited. We actually had to change the dates of our trip to the first weekend in May; 5/1-5/5 and were able to still get the $400/night on a weekend! <BR><BR>Just to pick your brains' a little further...does about $300-$330 sound OK for flights to Reno from New York (JFK)? Flight is on National with a "free" (as they put it) stopover in Vegas. I am just uncertain if the airfare may go down in price, or if that sounds like a deal. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help!!!