south florida - everglades - budget/no car

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
south florida - everglades - budget/no car

Hey there - So I'm planning a short stay in southern Florida (2-3 days) and want to see the Everglades. I don't have a car - where should I stay so I can take some kind of public transportation to see the park? And I'm also on a budget. I like laid-back, no frills places - walking, hiking, a drink somewhere that looks out on something pretty. Not into big hotels, thong bikinis, shopping, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
GoTravel

honey, you are going to have to rent a car if you want to stay out in the Everglades. While there are tours out of the keys and Miami to the Everglades, you will not find public transportation unless you take a cab.

Old May 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM

You best bet may be the Everglades hostel in Florida City (either stay there or stay on Miami Beach and use it for the tour of the Everglades). http://evergladeshostel.com/index.htm
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM

If you are traveling in the heat of the summer you will find you will have the Park almost entirely to yourself. That is the off season. Mosquitos, the heat and humidity keep all but the hearty away. We lived in the area for several years and made trips to the park several times a month during all the seasons. You can expect thundershowers almost daily. The Homestead/Florida City area is a good place to stay but if you want to travel at your own pace in the park you will need transportation.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody!