Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Florida beach getaway near Miami (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-florida-beach-getaway-near-miami-929539/)

voyager61 Mar 28th, 2012 05:06 PM

South Florida beach getaway near Miami

We are planning a trip next February to the Caribbean and Florida. We're flying from the Northwest into and out of Miami on FF miles and then paying for a flight from Miami to the Caribbean to do a week-long boat rental in the BVIs with friends. After the Caribbean part, we want to chill for a week on our own as a couple in a beach rental in South Florida. Ideally we would like to be within 2 hours of Miami so it's not difficult to get back to the airport to return home. We have been to Naples for a very quick visit and like it, but most of the beach rentals there seem to be for a month or longer. What are other options? Something on the beach or within a block or so walking distance with views would be perfect, and we do like to have a few good restaurants around.

Thank you for help and especially for any specific rental recommendations.

voyager61 Mar 28th, 2012 05:13 PM

I should mention we are empty nesters in our 50s, with a rental budget of around 200 to 250 a night. Cultural attractions are always a plus, and we love walking and nature. Thanks again!

voyager61 Mar 29th, 2012 06:45 AM

I'll try one more time....any recommendations for beach rentals within 2 hours of Miami? See above criteria for more details. Thanks!

MiamiBeachMomma Mar 29th, 2012 12:59 PM

What about Miami Beach??

Lots of amazing restaurants, views, and cultural activities!! When you say beach rental do you mean a house or an apartment? It may be difficult to find a house for a week, but apartments or apartment hotels are plentiful. (If you want a little cottage then Miami Beach doesn't fit the bill.)

You could be close to South Beach and a lot of action, or move north towards the more residential areas of Mid Beach, North Beach, then to Surfside, Bal Harbor, and a little further to Sunny Isles. Moving north is less expensive and a little quieter.

voyager61 Mar 29th, 2012 01:50 PM

I was thinking about a small house or condo. The list of quieter areas is more what I am looking for, so thank you, and I will start researching Bal Harbor and Sunny Isles. Just from what I have heard about Miami Beach, I'm thinking that it might be too urban and busy for us. Is it comparable to Waikiki in Honolulu or other city beaches? Obviously, we have never been to Miami, so we're trying to learn more.

MiamiBeachMomma Mar 30th, 2012 05:25 AM

Hmmmm, Waikiki, south beach is busier and more compact than Waikiki. It's more like a city than a beach town.
Perhaps the keys is more your speed. Really not much on the cultural side, but very laid back and relaxing. You will definitely find a house although probably not on the beach. Key Largo is closest to Miami and then you can move south.... Isla Morada could also be a good choice. Depending on how far south you want to go, Key West is the furthest from Miami, it has the most yo do and see, but is the most crowded.