Notices

South Dakota

Mar 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

South Dakota

We are planning on going to South Dakota this summer. We are looking for some help in what to do and how much time to spend. Any tips on great things to see and do would be appreciated! We aren't sure how many days to plan in the area.

Our first day we will be traveling from Sioux Falls, SD to possibly Hill City
We are planning to stop at: CORN PALACE, 1880's TOWN, MINUTEMAN MISSLE, BADLANDS, WALL DRUG.

We then plan to stay in Hill City for a few days.
We are planning to spend time at CUSTER, MOUNT RUSHMORE, 1880's TRAIN, ALPINE SLIDE, MAMMOTH SITE, JEWEL and/or WIND CAVE, BEAR COUNTRY, anywhere else??

We then plan to go up to Spearfish for a night and take in a GOLD MINE and SPEARFISH CANYON before heading to DEVIL'S TOWER.

Thanks!!
Mar 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Corn Palace and Wall Drug are simply silly tourist traps.

Jewel Cave is pretty nice and can be coupled pretty easily with Mt. Rushmore, which is worth a visit.

Little Big Horn Battlefield is really interesting - especially if you take the tour, from the visitor center, and get a good guide. You can then go to the Crazy Horse monument and hear a completely fictional account of "their side" of the story (which is mostly bad-mouthing Custer). Still worth a stop, even if the main goal is selling non-taxed cigarettes and other trinkets. Or visit there first and ask your Little Big Horn guide about some of the assertions you heard.

I can't recall any right in that area but, if you can, try to visit a ghost town - they are interesting too.

Black Hills Gold is from the area, but I have yet to visit anything that describes itself as a gold mine tour that wasn't primarily a tourist trap (maybe others will know).
Mar 5th, 2013, 11:49 AM

The Little Big Horn Battlefield is not terribly near any of your stops, about 200 miles from Devil's Tower. But if you have the time it is well worth the visit.
Mar 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM

> Corn Palace and Wall Drug are simply silly tourist traps

Agreed. And both are free and can be visited in fifteen minutes -- which is what makes them fun to visit. But I wouldn't spend any more time than that.
Take the exit, stretch your legs, get your photo (and your free ice water), and then leave.

Search this Thread