Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Carolina or North Carolina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-carolina-or-north-carolina-168245/)

Bill Jan 16th, 2003 05:15 AM

South Carolina or North Carolina

Would like advice from travelers who have been to both Carolinas. Family of 6 traveling with teenagers. Looking for ocean front house/hotel. Don't want to have to drive long distances for activities or restaurants. Suggestions?

ttt Jan 16th, 2003 06:10 AM

top it

tt Jan 16th, 2003 06:50 AM

Hey! don't sit on your hands---give the guy some answers!!

shannon Jan 16th, 2003 06:56 AM

depends upon what you like....<BR><BR>there is Myrtle and the various beaches areas around it...<BR><BR>Hilton Head<BR><BR>Wilmington Carolina Beach area<BR><BR>Outer Banks<BR><BR>BUT if you don't mind crowds and your tacky tourist sites...<BR><BR>and TONS of stuff to keep the teenagers happy...I say Myrtle Beach if you don't just want to spend all of your time on the beach.<BR><BR>We always stayed at Garden City just south of Myrtle. Easy access to the bypass to get to Broadway at the Beach and the main Ocean Drive Strip.<BR><BR>It has probably changed a lot since I was there but prices were more reasonable there...or head farther up north near the NC border area.<BR><BR>It really depends on your style.<BR><BR>

Robert Jan 16th, 2003 07:03 AM

This topic has been debated here bfore, and the concensus usually is that both states have wonderful beaches and you can't really go wrong with either.<BR><BR>However, I think South Carolina's beaches offer more variety and more options. In SC, you can go from the glitz and hype of the bustling Myrtle Beach Area, to the laid-back atmosphere of the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area. There are also nice beaches in the Charleston area (Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, Folly, Kiawah). And, the golf/tennis/boating center of Hilton Head.<BR><BR>The Outer Banks of NC are nice, BUT (and to me, this is a HUGE but) it takes HOURSto reach them. You have to drive very far to reach the beaches areas (hence the term OUTER Banks) and some are only accessible by ferry.<BR><BR>With teenagers, I say go to SC. There is a lot more entertainment and more to do on the SC coast. NC is more small beach towns and cottages. You can find this in SC too, but you'll never be more tha half an hour from some kind of entertainment.<BR><BR>Whichever you choose, have a great trip! Let me know if you want more info.

xxx Jan 16th, 2003 07:55 AM

Bill this is the second time you have posted this question in a few hours time. You all ready received some annwers from the fist post. Some excellent ones. If you are loosing it then you have to try searching for it rather then repost.

jil Jan 30th, 2003 05:26 PM

Bill,<BR>Especially if you're traveling with teenagers, I would definitely recommend Myrtle Beach. During the day, any and all activities are within walking distance if you stay on the main strip. There are 2 amusement parks within a mile of each other, arcades, shops, and the beach, of course. There are plenty of miniature golf courses, music shows, movie theatres, etc. It's very busy been kids like that atmosphere. <BR><BR>Be sure to stay in &quot;Myrtle Beach&quot; and not &quot;North Myrtle Beach&quot;. The north part of the beach is more spread out and attracts those who want a more relaxed place to stay and plenty of golf courses to play at. It seems to have more condos than hotels. It might be just what you're looking for. I hope you're trip is wonderful....whatever you decide! <BR><BR>