Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   South Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/south-beach-377758/)

victoria21 Nov 20th, 2003 08:13 AM

South Beach

Has anyone ever heard of or stayed at the South Seas hotel in South Beach? The website looks nice, but who knows. How's the weather in January? We'd like to be out by the pool or at the beach. Thanks

almesq Nov 20th, 2003 08:25 AM

Don't know the hotel, but as to weather, you never know. Won't be "hot" but should be warm. They do get "cold" stretches from time to time, and it could be down in the 60's, but low 70's is probably a good bet.

rjw_lgb_ca Nov 20th, 2003 08:56 AM

I haven't stayed there, but I have stayed at its sister property (a good "budget" choice on Ocean), the Avalon Majestic. The South Seas has a good rep on the travel sites (mostly good reviews by guests-- when you read the grumbles you get a picture of total "trailer trash" who don't understand that a South Beach hotel won't be like the Embassy Suites by the Interstate back home), and the management company keeps their properties clean and comfortable. For the price, I don't think you can do better in that section of Collins Ave. And the location can't be beat.

GoTravel Nov 20th, 2003 09:09 AM

I've stayed at the South Seas and liked it a lot. The hotel restaurant is quite good. rjw is correct about the rooms, they are small. If you need two beds, request it ahead of time.

It is in the Lincoln Road Mall section of South Beach, it is oceanfront, has a great pool. Can't go wrong with this hotel.

Betsyp Nov 20th, 2003 01:58 PM

How's the weather? LOL I hope you have better luck than I did.

I had a great time but the weather absolutely sucked. When I landed, the sun was out, but there were a lot of clouds, and they never left. I arrived on Monday 11/3 - Tuesday: very cloudy, Wednesday: very cloudy - rain on both days. Thursday: a complete and utter wash out. I had gone to Lincoln Road mall on Tuesday, but after that, what else to do? I stayed in my hotel room all day (LOVED The Hotel by the way) and watched tv! Go figure. I guess that is the chance you take when you go on vacation. The problem is that in places where you are depending on the weather to be good, if it's not, you're stuck.
I was going stir crazy, honestly. I did go to the beach on the cloudy days, because it was very mild, but it was kind of depressing. Obviously, there were few people there, and I was at loose ends as to what to do with myself. The action within South Beach on such days is limited.

Fortunately, Friday was beautiful and I stayed at the beach all day but otherwise....Apparently, this was a highly unusual weather pattern for Miami at this time of year - some kind of tropical depression was hovering over the area.

victoria21 Nov 23rd, 2003 10:45 AM

Thanks for your help!!