Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sorry...a 'girlie' question...clothing in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sorry-a-girlie-question-clothing-in-october-441213/)

minx Sep 28th, 2008 12:31 PM

Sorry...a 'girlie' question...clothing in October

I hate doing this BUT...could anyone advise me as to whether capris and sandals would be suitable attire for San Fran, Pacific Grove to Cambria, and 1 week in Sonoma..... 18 days beginning mid-October. And just for the record that wouldn't be the SAME capris and sandals every day. I do know I need jackets and appropriate evening type clothes BUT...the thought of having to wear closed in shoes once again is troubling.

TAW Sep 28th, 2008 01:00 PM

Here in CA you can wear whatever you please. And we ignore the rule about white between Mem Day & Labor Day. Do bring layers for cool mornings, warm days & cool evenings. Have a wonderful time!

NewbE Sep 28th, 2008 01:42 PM

I would be cold in capris and sandals in the coastal areas in October--as in, really cold. I wouldn't wear anything that light even in summer (although it's true that summer can be foggier). But as far as formality goes, you'll look fine and fit right in.

nytraveler Sep 28th, 2008 01:58 PM

I know for some reason SF seems to get summer very late - but I've been there in Oct when it was rainy, foggy, even a little chilly. Not cold - but not capris/sandals weather either.

And I can't think of anyplace I would go without a pair of closed shoes - since it can rain literally anywhere.

hotticket Sep 28th, 2008 02:57 PM

brrrr...chilly even thinking about it.

Unless you hit a freaky heat wave, it's time for some lightweight wool.
and a jacket...and closed toed shoes.

aliced Sep 28th, 2008 03:06 PM

We were last in SanFran and the Wine Country 6 Octobers ago; too chilly for capris & sandals, wore a hip-length leather jacket w/ scarf, slacks and shoes. Temps were 55-65. But pack a pair of khaki or black capris and sandals and hope for the best. Try a mud-bath in Calistoga. Wine definitely makes you warmer too!

suze Sep 28th, 2008 06:41 PM

I'm a big fan of sandals and capris but San Francisco will likely be too cold for that by mid October. You can bring them, but I'd have other alternatives along as well.

minx Sep 29th, 2008 05:38 AM

Thanks so much for this and for not scolding me for such a 'flakey' question.

suze Sep 29th, 2008 06:32 AM

Nothing flakey about it :-)

And honestly San Francisco is one of THE trickiest cities I've ever been in to be dressed right. The weather can literally change when you cross the street or turn a corner!

logandog Sep 29th, 2008 06:45 AM

I wore capris in San Francisco in August and froze my tushie off. Thank goodness my wife brought an extra sweater!

Surfergirl Sep 29th, 2008 07:14 AM

Well, I am currently up in Monterey and on Sat. morning, I dressed as you suggest and my husband had on his shorts and one of those rash guards under the t-shirt. We were heading out to spend a few hours kayaking. We walked out of the hotel door, 100 feet, looked at each other as our legs turned blue and said, uh uh!

Back to the hotel, jeans, socks, closed toed shoes and sweatshirts. We decided because it was nice and sunny (notwithstanding the cold and fog off shore), it was a really good day for a bike ride!

november_moon Sep 29th, 2008 09:17 AM

Since it may be warm, I'd bring a pair of capris and sandals, but I would bring warmer clothing for most of my wardrobe.

janisj Sep 29th, 2008 01:29 PM

I'd take one pair of capris and one pair of sandals. Oct will be beautiful - but whether it'll be sandal weather is iffy. But one pair doesn't take up much luggage space.

Just this weekend in SF I had to use a heavy sweater/cashmere socks/wool slacks and capris/sandals/t-shirt -- on the same day.