soon to travel to the Southern States

Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

soon to travel to the Southern States

HELP!!!We have just recently booked a trip to the Southern States. We fly in to Atlanta from the U.K on the 30th of September and pick up a hire car. The plan was to travel to Dahonega, Gatlinburg, Nashville, Corinth, Memphis, Vickburg, Natchez, New Iberia and then New Orleans, we have hotels booked. We know that we can no longer go to New Orleans but are unsure about the rest of our trip. Should we delay until the area recovers or can we go ahead with a few changes that will take us back to Atlanta from New Iberia.

Thanks
Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM

Main problems I see:

- Check with the hotels at Vicksburg, Natchez and New Iberia to see if they can still honor your reservations. Almost all hotels and motels in those areas are packed with displaced residents from New Orleans and surrounding areas. They will not kick people out of their rooms just because you have a reservation.

- There have been gasoline shortages in parts of the SE. I think you should be okay, in general, but keep the gas tank full. You don't want to run out of gas.

- You can definitely get from New Iberia back to Atlanta. But check locally to see if you can go I-12 east to I-55 north. If not, then go north on I-49 for a while before cutting back northeast to I-20.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:39 AM
GoTravel

Why don't you shift your visit more to the east and visit Asheville, Charleston, Savannah, Beaufort, and St. Augustine?

Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM

Your biggest problem is going to be your hotel reservations. Definitely call to confirm that you still have reservations. There are still tens of thousands of refugees that need to be placed somewhere...don't count on your reservations being honored - call ahead.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM

Do check on your reservations here in Memphis as well.

We have 10000 hurricane refugees filling hotels, even out in the suburbs, with more arriving daily. Gas stations around my home have sold out of petrol. Things are a little pressed for resources here, obviously. I'm sure Vicksburg would be more so, being closer to the affected areas.

Please do have a pleasant trip despite the circumstances.