Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sonoma wine country house or cottages for 8 females in Oct & some are pretty picky--impossible task?

Sonoma wine country house or cottages for 8 females in Oct & some are pretty picky--impossible task?

Mar 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm desperately looking for help! I'd gotten a lot of advice & info when trying to plan a trip (that ended up not panning out) just for my husband and myself, so I've already done some basic research on the area.

Here's the scenario. Mid-October, so peak season. We're thinking somewhere in the Heraldsburg, Sonoma, Calistoga, Russian River type area. 8 middle-aged females are taking a trip from either Wed. night or Thurs. morning until a flight out Sun. afternoon. All are well-traveled and experienced European travellers as well, so we've all seen vineyards before. Some want to keep costs reasonable and some don't care.

We're looking for something where we can all spread out and visit together rather than being confined to just our rooms or the gathering area in a lodge or B & B where we'd be disturbing other guests. So, a house or several cottages would be ideal. Here are the qualifications some people have put on this idea.

At least a couple rooms have to be furnished with twins or a king size bed because one person doesn't want to share a queen. Same person also doesn't want to be isolated and wants to be within walking distance of a charming town. Several people are used to very upscale and anything else would be beneath their standards, so it can't be some place too funky. Another person would prefer not to spend more than $100-$125 a person a night for lodging, with an ultimate max of $150. Some people want to be very accessible to restaurants without having to drive a long ways at night. And, here too we have differences. Some prefer quirky, interesting, perhaps ethnic foods at reasonable prices while others prefer more pretentious, upscale dining.

We are thinking of perhaps one day visiting vineyards and would prefer some charming ones in beautiful countryside. Some people have suggested getting a limo for the day to do this. As far as the other days free. some people want to shop, some want to do spa visits, some want to visit the redwoods and hike, some want to bike.

Bottom line. Do you have ANY good suggestions as to where to start to find a place that might accomodate all of these needs. Or, is this just totally impossible? I really appreciate any suggestions.

p.s. Someone had posted a link one time to a house rental agency in the Sonoma or Heraldsburg area, I believe. I can't seem to find the link any more.
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I just googled "healdsburg ca house rentals" and a whole bunch of rentals came up.

Some of the properties seem to fit most of what you are looking for (face it, you will not be able to please everyone, so choose to please the pickiest and the easy-going ones will just, hopefully go along with your choice )

Good luck!
Mar 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Healdsburg area:

http://www.vrbo.com/56107

If you're not adverse to Napa, this looks like a posibility:

http://www.vrbo.com/119992

Good luck!
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm checking the possibilities out. Any other thoughts from anyone?

This is still driving me nuts. I can't find a really good link someone on this forum posted about a recommended site that has great house rentals. There were a lot of really good choices. Does anyone have any idea what the link was?
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Was it one of these?

www.HealdsburgRentals.com
www.Healdsburgrealty.com
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM

In Healdsburg, check out Healdsburg Country Gardens. It is used as a wedding site, but they also have some homes/cottages for rent. Not exactly luxury, but certainly very clean and nice and comfortable - quiet, private, great views overlooking vineyards - just outside of town.
www.hcountrygardens.com
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you; I'm checking all the options out.

For anyone else who wants info on the area, I finally figured out the website I was looking for.

www.sonomacountyvacations.com