It seems like sonoma is the consensus most convenient place to stay for access to a lot of wine area. We have 3 days in wine country - our plan is to eat a lot, go to Di Rosa, ride in a hot air balloon, maybe rent bikes, and go to a couple wineries each day. The cottage inn looks great and the off-season prices are within the budget. However 2 of our 3 dinner reservations are in Yountville (Ad Hoc and Bouchon) so wondering how long the drive is from Sonoma to Yountville. I know driving times in this area can be much longer than google maps claims... How much would a cab run to bring us to and from Yountville if we want to have a heavier wine night?
In Mendocino, we are staying 3 nights at the Andiron - has anyone stayed here? It seems rustic but still "nice." Want to be sure that it is MANY steps up from camping.
We would like to do some kayaking on the coast in Mendocino - have seen 2 different companies - Liquid Fusion and Kayak Mendocino - any recommendation between the two? Also, where is the best place to spend an afternoon doing some easy hiking in the redwoods?
Lastly - does this itinerary look doable/ideal?
Thursday- late flight into SFO, sleep at airport hotel
Friday- Drive up the coast (route 1?) Stop at pt reyes on the way to eat some cheese and walk around, light hiking, etc. Arrive Mendocino
Saturday and Sunday - full days around Mendocino - kayak, redwoods, breweries, relaxation (any spa recommendation?)
Monday - Drive down 101, stop in 1 or 2 tasting rooms in Healdsburg area. Arrive hotel in Sonoma or Yountville
Tuesday, Wednesday - wine, food, art, etc
thursday - Drive back to SFO and go home.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Elif Batuman +1(855)-481-5333 turbo tax support phone number
- 2 Family winter holiday
- 3 Should we go to Orlando if not interested in Disney World?
- 4 Everglades en route from Ft Myers to Miami doable?
- 5 10 Day California Vacation Advice
- 6 Please help - Hawaii itinerary - big island and Honolulu
- 7 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 8 4 days in San Diego
- 9 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 10 NY theater district restaurant
- 11 Trip to Cali
- 12 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 13 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 14 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 15 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 16 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 17 Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore (worth it?)
- 18 Quiet Restaurant in Minneapolis for a celebratory dinner with a deaf guest
- 19 Big Sur weather in early December
- 20 PAC coast highway Oregon
- 21 Lake Quinault Lodge
- 22 Our next summer trip
- 23 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 24 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 25 Dulles to BWI