Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sonoma Valley Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sonoma-valley-area-693500/)

dgarland Apr 2nd, 2007 09:15 PM

Sonoma Valley Area

We would like to spend our anniversary in the Sonoma Valley area Memorial Day weekend. I've done some research on the posts and would like some additional advice. We are looking for something relaxing and preferably with a beautiful view. We like historical inns and hotels, and antiques and would like a luxury inn. We're not big spa people, so a spa doesn't matter one way or the other. The Madrona Manor looks nice. Has anyone stayed there recently? We narrowed the location down to either Healdsburg because we like the sound of the small town with quaint shops and restaurants or something in the wine country with a wonderful view, possibly still near Healdsburg. Any suggestions for either? I called the Sonoma Mission Inn but all they have available for that weekend starts @ $500. We would prefer a price range no more than $350-$375/night.

easytraveler Apr 2nd, 2007 09:51 PM

I would suggest using tripadivsor.com to find the type of property that you strikes your fancy.

Try typing in "B&Bs Healdsburg CA".

Good luck and happy anniversary! :)

jtrandolph Apr 2nd, 2007 10:07 PM

Healdsburg is not in the Sonoma Valley. It is in Sonoma County, however. If you want to look in Sonoma Valley, which is much more rural and includes the historic small town of Sonoma and Glen Ellen and Kenwood, then google those places.

The Sonoma Mission Inn IS in the Sonoma Valley, however. It might be more clear to you if you look at a map. Sonoma Valley is on Highway 12 and the valley is only 18 miles long with over 44 wineries. Healdsburg is north of Santa Rosa on Hwy 101, a major north-south California highway. Other Sonoma County wine venues include the Russian River area, Alexander Valley, etc.

If you are interested in being near the town of Sonoma google Inn at Sonoma, which is 1/2 block from the Sonoma Plaza. More expensive is MacArthur Place and the Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma.

Sonoma is built around an 11-acre Plaza from the Mexican era and still has many of the original adobe buildings, now housing hotels, restaurants, boutiques, and delis.

Not to confuse you, but you really are talking about two different places.

lynngold May 19th, 2007 03:41 PM

Madrona Manor is lovely and just outside of Healdsburg. Their restaurant is excellent and the grounds are beautiful. You also might consider Honor Mansion, which is in the somewhat rural part of Healdsburg and has received rave reviews.

Healdsburg is more small town than Sonoma, but has just as many wonderful restaurants, shops and wineries.

socialworker May 19th, 2007 06:08 PM

Hi--we just stayed at Madrona Manor 2 wks ago and had a great room w/a huge balcony that had views of the mountains. I would recommend the place highly, but I wonder about the date of your post. Surely, you already have your plans made as Memorial Day is next. week-end