Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sonoma to carlsbad ca (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sonoma-to-carlsbad-ca-841525/)

ediemay May 23rd, 2010 04:02 PM

Sonoma to carlsbad ca

Hi!
We will be flying into SFO and driving to Sonoma overnight then onto Santa Barbara to Carlsbad in August. We would like to spend 3 nights en route. Do you have any suggestions for overnights or routes? We would appreciate any input you have. Thanks!

happytrailstoyou May 23rd, 2010 04:33 PM

Will you spend any time in San Francisco?
Have you ever driven down Highway 1?
Do you want to stay someplace with an ocean view?

montereybob May 23rd, 2010 07:12 PM

I would consider any 3 of the following, depending on how much you want to drive each day: San Francisco, Monterey, Big Sur, Pismo Beach, Newport Beach.

happytrailstoyou May 23rd, 2010 07:18 PM

I concur with these choices, except perhaps for Monterey which, despite its attractions, isn't a place I enjoy being.

I like Pismo Beach for the chance to have a room with a great ocean view.

Cambria is a good option too, especially if you want to take a tour at the Hearst Castle.

happytrailstoyou May 23rd, 2010 07:22 PM

Sorry montereybob, but when I go to Monterey I'm thinking, "It happened in Monterey a long time ago," but what I find is a very hectic, modern city overrun with tourists--like me.

montereybob May 24th, 2010 07:12 AM

Well, maybe Carmel then.

sf7307 May 24th, 2010 08:29 AM

<<<Well, maybe Carmel then.>>>

That's funny! I think you could just lump Monterey-Carmel-Pacific Beach together for a day, and you'd find something for everyone :-)

ediemay May 25th, 2010 12:58 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have been to most of those areas and towns. I guess I was not specific enough in my request. What we were undecided about was where to stay for the 3 nights and by which route would we make the best time. I was thinking Santa Rosa, Santa Barbara, Newport Beach. Didn't want SF or LA this trip. Does that sound OK? How long a drive from Santa Rosa to LA if we went Rte. 5 (boring)?

dbdurand May 25th, 2010 01:38 PM

" How long a drive from Santa Rosa to LA if we went Rte. 5 (boring)?"

I like Google Maps for these kinds of questions. It comes out a little over 7 hours of actual driving time.

easytraveler May 25th, 2010 01:45 PM

From Santa Rosa to LA would be - to be on the safe side - about 8-9 hours. Then it's another two hours from LA to Carlsbad.

If you drove this starting at 10/11pm in the late night, you could make the entire trip in about 9 hours. During the day, it just depends on when you start out and when you arrive in LA. It could be a long 14-hour day, if you caught in commuter traffic at both ends.

Underhill May 25th, 2010 01:51 PM

You might consider Morro Bay.

razzledazzle May 25th, 2010 02:01 PM

I'm confused-are you staying in the town of Sonoma for one night
and then moving up to the town of Santa Rosa ?

R5

krgystn May 25th, 2010 03:33 PM

add Santa Barbara and Laguna to your list

krgystn May 25th, 2010 03:35 PM

the 5 sux, if you don't want to travel on highway 1, use 101.