Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sonoma/Napa (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sonoma-napa-475679/)

jillyt19 Sep 21st, 2004 12:40 PM

Sonoma/Napa

My husband and I are heading to Sonoma/Napa for two and half days in early November and I have mapped all the wineries, restaurants, etc. for us to see in Napa, but seem to have left out the Sonoma Valley area.

We land in SF on a sunday - early afternoon and are planning on driving up to Yountville where we will be staying. Should we stop and see some of Sonoma before we head to Yountville? and if so, which places should we focus on.

We are really looking forward to going to Mondavi, Niebaum-Copolla, Beringer, COPIA, Domaine Chandon, Stags Leap, just to name a few.

Any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Jillyt19

SFImporter Sep 21st, 2004 01:03 PM

I always thought this was Sonoma - but apparantly it's Napa - but definitely worth a stop.

I like to visit the Hess Winery Art Collection:

http://www.hesscollection.com/arttour/

Nothing more satisfying than sipping a nice vintage while taking in some amazing art.

mwessel Sep 21st, 2004 01:09 PM

One of our favorite stops in Sonoma was Viansi Winery and Italian Marketplace.

Tours are self guided or by appointment and there's no tasting charge. Features picnic area, gift shop, dourmet deli and
Panoramic views of mountains around it. Some great photo-ops there. Village-like feeling to the winery with two tasting bars in the market area where visitors can buy breads, cheeses and goods. Lots of samples out so as to try everything. We bought some outstanding olive oil and balsamic vinegar while there and had it shipped home. Was one of the best souvenirs we bought!

kimamom Sep 21st, 2004 01:15 PM

Chateau St. Jean and Ledson were two of my favorites that we visited recently. In Geyserville, we really like the Chateau Sourverain. The Alexander Valley Grille was very nice for lunch.

My favorites in Sonoma are: the girl and the fig, Cafe La Haye, Swiss Hotel, General's Daughter and we also enjoyed our breakfast at Sante at the Sonoma Mission Inn when we were there.

In the Healdsburg area, the Dry Creek Kitchen was exquisite! We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Healdsburg, also. www.hotelhealdsburg.com Very contemporary, gorgeous property and nice warm pool for swimming.

I have been to all the places on your list, except COPIA. When we stayed at the Yountville Inn, we received two complimentary passes to the reserve tasting at Stags Leap. ***kim***

je Sep 21st, 2004 01:22 PM

If you go to the Sonoma side, you're at least a 40 minute drive over the Oakville Grade to the Napa Valley. If you have the time, the Sonoma side is more rustic and I think more picturesque. It is not (yet) as developed as Napa Valley

jillyt19 Sep 22nd, 2004 05:40 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We were also thinking of doing the Napa Valley Train Ride the first day we are in the wine country, is it than necessary to tour additional wineries in the area? If so, which ones should we focus on? or if we do the train tour should we spend the next day in Sonoma Valley? Suggestions please!

Tim_and_Liz Sep 22nd, 2004 06:55 AM

We took the train and really enjoyed it! We took the dinner train, though. Yes, it is absolutely necessary to still visit wineries as the train doesn't stop. I think the lunch train may make one stop.

As for wineries, we first took the tour at Mondavi-- a great overview of the wine making process. I also highly recommend Schramsberg, a sparkling wine winery. www.schramsberg.com
What are you looking for in a winery? There are many, many helpful people on this board! I've only been once-- can't wait to return!

mfenimore Sep 23rd, 2004 07:22 AM

If you want an awesome experience do the cave tasting tour at Del Dotto cave. Appointments are necessary and I think it is like $20 pp(tour is like 2hrs though) but it is so worth it. It was my favorite experience in Napa.