Sonoma Mission Inn vs. Hotel Healdsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming out from PA and debating between Sonoma Mission Inn and Hotel Healdsburg. We are looking to relax, see some wineries and eat fine food. Both have availability for the time we want to go. Price isn't a factor. Which one would you choose?
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I'm not a big fan of the Sonoma Mission Inn because it's in the middle of a pretty shoddy area. You won't be able to walk to stores to shop, restaurants to have dinner, or the square to relax & people watch - like you can from the Healdsburg Inn. I also think the area around Healdsburg is much prettier than the area around Sonoma. I also think the restaurants in Healdsburg are much better. One of the three top Michelin rated Restaurants (and also one of the 5-6 **** restaurants rated by the SF restaurant critic) is in Healdsburg. My wife prefers the shopping in Healdsburg.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM

We also like Healdsburg very much (and I, too, like the shopping opportunities there--upscale and varied) and were just there for a night last week. We stayed at the Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza. My husband thought that the room we'd originally booked was a bit dark, and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a lovely room on the second floor with a bay window and view of the Plaza. The staff were gracious and efficient.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Hi--any reason why you are not also considering Madrona Manor? It is in Healdsburg just 5 min or so (by car) from the center of town. It is on sevaral acres of gorgeous grounds and it is a really wonderful place. It even offers its own gourmet restaurant where we had a delightful 7 course tasting menu served on the veranda. We stayed there in May at the recommendation of another Fodor poster and I am so glad we did!! In case you want to take a look...

http://www.madronamanor.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Looked at Madrona Manor but liked the idea of being in town. Was leaning towards Hotwl Healdsburg from the beginning but needed some reassurance. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I agree that staying in town is nice. (Although for a splurge dinner, the Madrona Manor can't be beat). You may want to check out the Inn on the Square, Calderwood Inn, and the Grape Leaf Inn. There are so many really charming B&Bs within walking distance of town.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I too vote for Hotel Hbg. Which is not the same as the Inn.... both on the square, but Hotel Healdsburg is more upscale. The big ***** restaurant in Hbg is Cyrus... and that's part of Hotel Mars, another very upscale property. You'll have plenty to see and do in and around Hbg.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM

HI--I am normally a person who also prefers to be in a town. However, during our stay at Madrona Manor, we had a huge balcony overlooking the hills, that so reminded us of the view off the balcony of the B&B where we stayed in Tuscany. They were in the midst of an unseasonably hot spell in May and being able to sit in the shade of our umbrella in our private "outdoor room" was just heavenly.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Socialworker, are the cats still around at Madrona Manor? I liked the country seclusion of the place, too.

If the Les Mars Hotel is as splendid as it looks on their website, I could really go for that!

http://www.lesmarshotel.com/index.html
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Hi Gemstone....I did not see any cats at Madrona, but that does not mean they may not be there. We had dinner at Cyrus, in the Mars, and while the lobby was lovely, it was cold feeling, IMO, in comaparison to Madrona. However, I realize that taste is variable here. I looked at the photos of the rooms at the Mars and they are gorgeous, but again the "antiques" are clearly first rate reproductions. At the Madrona, they were just as nice but the real thing, i.e true antiques. Maybe it is my being a converted New Englander---grew up in Midwest, but moved to Boston at age 23---that makes me love truly old things and atmospheres that retain olden days grandeur, even when the patina of age is apparent. There is so little in CA that is truly old, that when we had the chance to stay at a Victorian place, we jumped at it. But as previously stated, taste is the deciding factor.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:03 AM

We have stayed at both places, each is wonerful. I love the spaciousness of the SMI, an amazing spa there and two great restaurants. Lots of room to walk around, a grand lobby with wine tasting each afternoon. A short 5 minute drive to town is no problem, they have a valet service if you want to be pampered.

The Hotel Healsburg is very contemporary in decor, gorgeous lobby with fireplace, a very small spa there, pool, we had a room with a balcony overlooking the grounds. If you do choose the HH, don't miss a meal at Cyrus, our dinner there this past March was top notch.

Any further questions on either of these places, feel free to ask and enjoy your time in the wine country! ***kim***
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks, Socialworker. I prefer real antique to reproduction, too (loved the massive antique bed in the Madrona Manor mansion room, which did have quite a "patina of age", and I expected it to.)

But with quality furnishings this nice, I'd be very pleased with a luxurious, comfortable Les Mars room. Maybe the lobby felt cold compared to the "homey" feel of Madrona Manor. Les Mars' French-style exterior is much more pleasing to me than the modern look of the Hotel Healdsburg. I'm just not a fan of that style. Guess I probably need to try Cyrus, too...hey,I think I just planned MY trip here! :-B

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM

If you like the antique atmosphere and prefer to be in town, do check out Calderwood Inn or Grapeleaf Inn. Both are beautiful victorians.