Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sonoma CA dining recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sonoma-ca-dining-recommendations-829349/)

beachtee Mar 4th, 2010 03:10 PM

Sonoma CA dining recommendations

My husband and I are planning a little weekend wine tasting getaway in Sonoma. We are looking for dining recommendations for either lunch or dinner. I remember someone once mentioning Healdsburg, but cannot recall or relocate the post. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

StuDudley Mar 4th, 2010 03:25 PM

Cyrus in Healdsburg - best meal I've had in the Bay Area in the last 5 years. A little to far from Sonoma for dinner - don't know if they serve lunch.

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Mar 4th, 2010 03:51 PM

>>A little to far<<
too far - in case my HS English teacher is reading this.

Stu Dudley

beachtee Mar 4th, 2010 06:21 PM

Thanks Stu, I checked it out online--looks a bit pricey. Any other rec's for more moderate priced but still noteworthy dining?

TIA!
T in FL

sequess Mar 5th, 2010 03:27 PM

In the town of Sonoma I love The Girl and the Fig.

smetz Mar 6th, 2010 03:58 AM

A great place for small plates is Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa. That company also has a seafood restaurant in Healdsburg. Another in Healdsburg that I've not been to, but my son (who was a culinary student in Napa) highly recommended was Zin, which is a farm-to-table restaurant with a seasonal menu. One great thing about that area is the restaurants!

If you are interested in a short drive, on our last trip out there we went to a place in Calistoga called JoLe, which was a small plates oriented farm fresh place too. It was excellent.

boom_boom Mar 6th, 2010 11:35 AM

Girl and The Fig is excellent. For something different in the wine country there is (or at least there was a year ago) nice pub with a good beer selection just a bit down an alley off the square.
Also enjoyed Carneros Bistro and Wine Bar.

deniseredeker Mar 6th, 2010 08:36 PM

Sonoma has a wealth of great food - no need to leave town at all! The Girl and the Fig is great, as is it's sister restaurant, Estate. In the square, La Salette has great spicy Portuguese food. A little bit out of town, but terrific diner food is The Fremont. Have a great trip!

beachtee Mar 6th, 2010 09:04 PM

Thanks friends for the wonderful rec's! I think I have heard of the Girl and the Fig, and I especially liked the idea of the farm fresh spots!!! We are looking forward to sampling some sparkling wines, and enjoying the area.

howefortunate Mar 11th, 2010 06:20 PM

I second the recommendations for a A Girl and a Fig (wonderful hamburgers at lunch),Zin (fresh & delicious), and Willis. Another wonderful little restaurant called Cafe Mirepoix in Windsor. Make reservations in advance.

kleroux Mar 13th, 2010 06:44 PM

You have to know that most restaurants in Sonoma county pride themselves on serving farm fresh local food. So where ever you go you should be able to find that. Healdsburg (in Sonoma County) is about 1.5 hours North of SF. There are many good restaurants in this town. Sonoma is a town, and also the name of the county.