Reload this Page >

Soniat House-NOLA-just read scathing reviews

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 01:44 PM
elaine

My husband and I (first time visitors to NOLA)booked Soniat House for 5 nights early May. Our trip is more business than pleasure and unfortunately coincides with Jazz Fest (unfortuante due to the inflated rooms rates). Had good feedback on SH. Today I read on Fodors 'Rant/Rave' two terrible reviews of this property. Our rate per night exceeds $250 (and is not a suite).Our nonrefundable deposit is due the end of January. Can any locals (or SH guests) shed additional light on this property? Booking different accommodations is impossible at this late date, but I would like to know what to expect.
Many thanks to all who reply.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 02:15 PM
John

I've never heard anything but good things about Soniat House. I did check out those "Rants and Raves" and it seems those were the low-end rooms that were still available late at night. I wouldn't worry too much. It's a neat inn and I think you'll be pleased. There's always some room variability at old properties. The only way to truly avoid this is to book a newer hotel like a Marriott, where all 1000 rooms are similar! (personally, I think this is not a good option!)

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Kat

Soniat House is actually TWO houses across the street from one another. The suites and rooms in the left-hand house (which is the one across the street from where the check-in desk is) has lovely, comfortable, gorgeous suites. I'm not sure if there are rooms in that house or not. I think most of the rooms are in the main house (with check-in desk). If you have the bucks to upgrade to a suite, it's definitely worth it.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 02:29 PM
elaine

John,

Thanks for your prompt, reassuring reply. After speaking with 'someone' at La Maison Marigny (this property was booked), the owner did recommend Soniat House. Our room is 'superior', one step up from least expensive room..on first floor, facing the street. We enjoy staying at small inns and b&b's.
Re: those 'rants': I phoned Soniat House who claim 'rant specifics' to be inaccurate. Will post after our return.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 04:09 PM
John

Elaine, that was probably me you spoke with at La Maison Marigny. I'm sure you'll find Soniat House to be wonderful as do 99% of guests. Jazz Fest rates are higher, even if you're not coming for the Fest, so I really don't think $250 is very surprising at Soniat House when that's probably also the rate at the big chain hotels. Please let us know how you like it!

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:16 PM
susan

Well, okay, now that the cat is out of the bag, I will say that John - who regularly gives wonderful advice on this and other travel boards - is the owner/proprietor of La Maison Marigny, which has gotten all kinds of travel awards. He is scrupulously careful never to mention his own place, so let me do it for him. It's wonderful!

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Terri

We've stayed at the Soniat House twice. It was wonderful the first time and a nightmare the second. The room we had on our first visit wasn't available so we reserved a very expensive room that I believe they called a suite (if so, very misleading) in the original building. It was on the top floor with a very low, angled ceiling. There was either a natural gas leak in the building or the gas was somehow being piped in through the roof, but we got very ill (dizzy, nauseous) and told the manager. Unfortunately, he wasn't at all helpful in regards to the problem, and told us there were no other rooms available. At that point we had no choice but to check out, and we were charged for the remainder of our stay. As you can imagine, this left us with a rather negative impression of the Soniat Hosue nad we haven't returned.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Mark Robinson

I have stayed at the Soniat House three times. Its been wonderful every time. My rooms have always been beautiful and the staff couldn't be friendlier. Twice I was in the main bldg and once in the one across the street.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:30 AM
elaine

Susan,

Did not want to breach Fodors advertising..as I had notes John is the owner of Maison Marigny, which was recently highlighted in "Travel/Leisure".

Note to John and Mark:
John,
Do you know the owners of SH? Have you seen the rooms, i.e., even the less expensive?

Mark,
During your 3 stays at SH, did you happen to notice the room, at carriage way, facing the street?

Prior to reading the unflattering SH room reviews, I felt confident after doing deep research for our accommodations, as we did not want to stay in large hotel in New Orleans.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:10 AM
John

Elaine, I don't know the owners of Soniat House. I'm not even sure who owns the place now. I've only been in three of the rooms (when a friend of mine worked there a couple of years ago) and I thought they were very nice. I don't recall ever seeing a top floor room, so maybe that's the big problem...the "attic" type ceilings. The Soniat does have a nice breakfast and wine/sherry setup and the size of the inn makes it possible for the staff to interact with guests. To be honest, I'm surprised to hear about the negative comments based on all I'd previously heard.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Alice

With all the beautiful BnB's, new Hotels, and older guest houses there is no reason to take a chance and stay in a bad place. We do have them here in New Orleans, as elsewhere, so keep looking to you are satisfied.
Alice
http://www.geocities.com/nola_rental/oldnola.html