Yosemite / Grand Canyon in December

Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite / Grand Canyon in December

Hi
We are travelling to USA in December.
We staying 2 weeks in LA/San Francisco/Las Vegas and plan to visit Yosemite and Grand Canyon but I think we will run out of time to do both.
We have teenage children and they probably will not want to hike much, especially if it is cold
Any hints/tips on what to do?
How many nights should we stay?
Thanks
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well -- your first order of business is to find out if you can even get accommodations in Yosemite Valley or not. I does book up far in advance. two nights in Yosemite (which would net you about 1.5 days free in the Valley) is about right if you aren't going to do any major hikes. The back country will be closed off w/ no access so the Valley will be it (but WELL worth it).

So try to get a room at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls ASAP.

For the Grand Canyon - same -- accommodations book up far ahead. The north rim is closed in winter so you have to stay at the South Rim and one night would be sufficient.

3 nights in SF, 2 night in YNP, 2 night in LV, 1 night at the GC 3 or 4 nights in LA and travel time just about fills 2 weeks. If you have 2 weeks 'on the ground' you could add time to SF - or along the coast (though December weather can be awfully iffy on hwy 1)
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM

Yosemite is gorgeous and much less crowded in December although it may have more people around Christmas. If it does snow
You may need chains for your tires and rental car companies will not allow that. So I am not sure if Yosemite would work for you. But I go there every winter and love it but only go on short hikes because of the cold. Maybe one night and you could go on short walks to Bridalveil and lower Yosemite Falls.

Since you will be in Las Vegas, check out Valley of Fire State Park.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM

In December, Yosemite has its famous Bracebridge Dinner, a tradition since 1927.

It used to be a one to two night event, but has expanded mightily in the past decade or so.

Well worth going to. It's not cheap, but a once-in-a-lifetime event.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/bracebri...FUFxQgodNnAA3g
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM

Yellowstone is a long drive from San Francisco--13-17 hours, depending on which direction and winter road conditions.

Being winter, you will probably have to go in by snow coach and stay at Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Most of the roads and lodges are closed to car traffic in winter. If you go around to the north entrance you can drive in to Mammoth but that's just at the very north end of the park.

Once in, you can either take snow coaches or snow mobiles to tour around but you aren't going to see Yellowstone as people normally see it. It's beautiful in winter but most all facilities are closed and everything will most likely be covered in snow and ice.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Uh -- the OP isn't asking about Yellowstone . . . it is Yosemite.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 04:57 AM

You will not be able to travel from Yosemite to LV/Grand Canyon via Tioga Pass through LeVining to Highway 395. that road is closed in winter. You will have to come down Highway 41 through Fresno to Highway 99, south to Bakersfield, then east on Highway 58 over Tehachapi Pass. (Driving time Fresno to Vegas is about 6 to 7 hours.From Yosemite Valley, add at least 2 to 3 hours, depending on highway conditions.) I think maybe you have no idea on the conditions of the Sierra Nevada mountains in winter. While we have been having a drought the last few years, and snowfall has been less than normal, it is normally very cold, and you must carry tire chains if you plan to be in the mountains during Dec. You have to assume there will be snowy conditions in Dec.
For only two weeks, I recommend staying in the southwest (LA, LV, Grand Canyon)
-OR-
the central part of the state (San Francisco, Yosemite, central coast of Monterrey and Carmel area, Highway 1 south of San Francisco, wine country, etc.).
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM

Whoops--sorry!

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM

I agree with BillJ, when he said:

"For only two weeks, I recommend staying in the southwest (LA, LV, Grand Canyon)
-OR-
the central part of the state (San Francisco, Yosemite, central coast of Monterrey and Carmel area, Highway 1 south of San Francisco, wine country, etc.)."

Driving to both San Francisco and the Grand Canyon in one 2-week trip would be a LOT of driving.