Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Songdoc, how is your January trip to Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/songdoc-how-is-your-january-trip-to-kauai-964320/)

louistraveler5 Jan 25th, 2013 06:50 AM

Songdoc, how is your January trip to Kauai?

Songdoc-
We haven't heard a peep out of you about your January sojourn to the hellhole! Are you holding the fort down until I arrive in May? ;) Only 4 months for me until I land on Kauai...May 25!!! When's your next trip?

How's your January sojourn treating you...soaking wet on the North Shore? noisy chickens?
Tell me all about it and make me green with envy...:-&!

Kal Jan 25th, 2013 08:55 AM

Probably freezing his tukas off.
We just got back from the ((6))hole and it had to be thee coldest trip ever since we have been going over in '89.

Either that or he's ODeed on MacNut pancakes and sugary syrup at KKitchen? @-)

Songdoc Jan 25th, 2013 10:07 AM

Thanks for asking! I’ve been having a wonderful, relaxing time—but yesterday was a highlight. It had been cloudy and gray in the morning, but that gave way to glorious, perfect sunshine.

I strolled along the bluff at Sealodge and sat on a bench at the opposite side of the complex—in front of the “A” building. The color of the water was stunning and it was so clear I could see every detail of the reef. I was gazing out at the beauty when a whale leaped out of the water – unbelievably close to me. Then there was another one! I’ve NEVER seen whales this close to shore.

I’ve seen whale spouts (and one breech) every day from my lanai—and when I’ve walked my favorite path past Kealia Beach—but they’ve been in the distance. This was CRAZY CLOSE and I loved it. Wally & Wilma Whale put on quite a show for at least thirty minutes—splashing and showing me their tails and backs. While this was going on there were lots of other spouts in the distance. I felt so fortunate to be in paradise.

As Kal mentioned it’s been cooler than previous winters when I’ve been here. But that’s all relative. (There’s an ice storm in Nashville—and much of the nation is dealing with snow and sub-freezing temps.) There were many mornings and evenings when I wore jeans and a sweatshirt. But this morning, it’s too warm for the sweatshirt—and I’m not complaining!

I’ve walked at a beach most days—Hanalei, Anahola, Kealia, Anini … but haven’t felt like swimming because it wasn’t hot. But that might change today. It’s beautiful out and I think I’ll head to Ke’e. I love to walk along the surf between Tunnels and Ke’e.

For the rest of the details, you’ll have to wait for the trip report.

Believe it or not, five days after I leave here I’ll be teaching and performing in Ireland—and then Paris. (That will be a 12 hour time change!) AGGHHH. It’ll be freezing—but fun.

I’ve signed on again for fabulous the Kauai Music Festival (July 10 – 14) but I don’t know if I’ll get back again before then because I’ll be working for seven weeks in New Zealand and Australia! I live a charmed life—for a traveloholic!

I’ll be here thirteen more days—and I’ll already beginning to grieve at the thought of leaving and being away for so long.

Now … Ke’e, Tunnels, and Haena …

PS. You don't even want to know how many mornings I've eaten those banana/mac pancakes at Kountry Kitchen--followed by wonton saimin and a chicken BBQ skewer at Hamura's for lunch!

Melissa5 Jan 25th, 2013 10:37 AM

Songdoc: Have a relaxing and inspiring time! (-: We will be there soon! Splitting our stay between Kauai and Oahu. I hope you have time to answer a couple questions I'm posting now. Especially would like advice on how BEST to spend a day-trip up to the north shore of Kauai. (Staying on the south of Kauai.) You can answer on my post if you want.

louistraveler5 Jan 25th, 2013 11:08 AM

Songdoc-
Ireland, Paris...:-&
7 weeks in New Zealand/Australia...:-&
Then back to Kauai...I just have no words about all of this...:`(

Indeed a charmed life!
Songdoc, I'm only looking out for you, so I'm thinking you need an assistant and I know just the girl...where can I send my resume? ;)

Since our dates to Kauai are out of sync we could use that as an excuse to be there at the same time to meet and we both get an extra trip out of it!

As always, can't wait to read your report!

Kal Jan 26th, 2013 11:22 AM

We were "shut out" at Hamura's 2x this trip.
<i>Friggin' TOURISTS!!!</i> :))

wekewoody Jan 26th, 2013 12:16 PM

I am sorry, but the term "hellhole" is a registered trademark. Pay the royalty or cease and desist.

Songdoc Jan 26th, 2013 03:08 PM

Not to make you jealous, but ...

The weather is spectacular today: bright, sunny, and 79--with barely a breeze. I parked at Kealia Beach and watched the surfers. Then walked five miles on the walking/bike trail and watched the whales put on a show. I took the same photos I've taken ten times before ;-). It doesn't get much better.

Tomorrow, heavy rain is predicted for the entire island--yes, even "sunny" Poipu. So I'm soakin' in those rays today.

And yesterday I learned a powerful lesson. Do NOT feed the chickens at Ke'e beach unless you want them to bring all their friends and relatives. There was no snorkeling permitted because the water was too rough out by the reef. But swimming close to shore was fine. I had an amazing day.

louistraveler: I so appreciate your kind and selfless offer to work as my assistant. I'll be glad to add your resume to the long list of those waiting for my assistant to die.

And FYI, I will be working hard in these places. But I do get plenty of time off--only Paris is pure vacation because it was only $56 to fly there from Ireland!

Kal: how do you get "shut out" at Hamura's? Do you mean the line was too long? It's always long--unless you go at odd times.

Sorry, have to get back to my whales ...

Kal Jan 26th, 2013 03:20 PM

'doc...yes.
Counters were full and small line. Even when we went off hour, approx. 1-2pm.

Wound up at Kalapaki Joe's once and Kilaeua Fish Mkt back at our hotel. Both good meals but missed mah' noodles and stix!

<i>Do NOT feed the chickens at Ke'e beach unless you want them to bring all their friends and relatives.</i>
Some returnee friends like to hit the Kealia overlook and watch the tourist busses stop and laff when they feed the chickens and get overrun.
Like the tourists in Venice who pose with pigeons all over. :))

Tomsd Jan 26th, 2013 03:29 PM

Sondoc: Always love reading your great reports - and you certainly beat the weather here in San Diego - which drizzled - not too rainy - but the PGA Golf Tournament Tiger Woods is leading out at Torrey Pines -- was canceled today (3rd round - postponed really)- due to Fog. Geesh.

Have tickets for tomorrow - when they will try to fit two rounds in. Doubt we will stay for all of that but it's fun to go out for a while. If it's sunny - the views are amazing, sometimes looking out from the cliffs and seeing Whales, or the ubiquitous Hang Gliders.

And your great fair to Paris - is that with Ryan Air? I had a great fair from Shannon Airport in Ireland to London - but had picked up so many mementos along the way - I was over the 20 Kilo (44 lbs) limit - and my extra baggage charge was way more than my ticket.

louistraveler5 Jan 28th, 2013 10:46 AM

wekewoody: What is the royalty to use "hellhole"?

wekewoody Jan 28th, 2013 02:06 PM

louistraveler: round trip first class for two and a suite at the St. Regis is the going rate. A real bargain!

Kal Jan 28th, 2013 02:32 PM

Shouldn't we consult a Hastings Law School grad? I wonder if anyone on Fodor's graduated from Hastings? <i>Hmmmmm</i>

iceeu2 Jan 28th, 2013 03:43 PM

wekewoody and louistraveler5, I do believe the royalty should be awarded to the one who will be celebrating a birthday on the "hellhole" in the veeeery near future!!! And, not just any birthday, but a birthday ending in zero!!!!! Yes, I admit it....I will be 40!!!! whew ((r))

Tomsd Jan 28th, 2013 03:58 PM

For my two cents, I would vote for a Hawaiin native - such as
kauaistyle. He's got some good Ohana and also is long on local knowledge. :)

Tomsd Jan 28th, 2013 04:05 PM

BTW - it was beautiful out at Torrey Pines today - here in San Diego - following three days of rain/fog.

Almost as pretty as the North Shore of Kauai.

Hey - even got a very rare nod/smile from Tiger Woods by the putting green/practice area - before the round started this morning. Tiger popped off the golf cart he was riding back from the driving range and I said - "Go Cardinal" (the Stanford mascot) - and he smiled and gave me a nod and said "Yes". Double :).

He then went out and finished winning the tournament - his 8th time here - more than anybody in golf history has won any one tournament.

wekewoody Jan 28th, 2013 05:15 PM

icee: 70 also ends in zero. ;;) smooch!

Lookin_Glass Jan 28th, 2013 06:25 PM

If I was there when you are going, I would bake a cake, bake a cake, bake a cake. . . or pie?

http://rightslice.com/

or cake?

http://www.cakesbykristin.com/

or pie?

http://hawaiidaisuki.files.wordpress...iffon-pie2.jpg

louistraveler5 Jan 29th, 2013 08:16 AM

iceeu2: Happy early Kauai birthday!!! ((R))
I'm catching up to you in trips made to Kauai. In 115 days, not that I'm counting, it will be my 5th trip to Kauai!!! I'm busy scheming to make it a 6th time perhaps in Sept or Oct!

wekewoody: For now, I will cease and desist until I reach elite status...how many trips will that take? I have no problem going to Kauai as many times as needed...;)!

Kal Jan 29th, 2013 11:19 AM

24x since '89 for us. Usually Nov/Dec or Jan trips but once we went in June for the Taste of Hawaii. Well worth the June trip.

I think after 15x you are considered a "#ellhole buff".