Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Songdoc (and anyone else)...what's Kauai like in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha Songdoc!

DH & I decided on a "Kauai every two years" concept. It works best for us. We get to see a new place and get our Kauai fix. Two years is just enough time for us to jones for our fix but not too long to make us desperate!
We went to Oahu Aug 2005: honeymoon...didn't know about Kauai back in those days
Kauai May 2007 & August 2007
Kauai May 2011
Marking two years will make our next sojourn to our favorite place on Earth in 2013. We are thinking of kicking off the summer solstice with a bang with our next trip. Our dates will be June 21-June 28, 2013.

The reason for my post is because our last trip, May 2011, we experienced the most rain I have seen. Sunday cloudy at Secret and Moloa'a beaches; Monday my PERFECT beach day at the eastern portion of Lumahai; Tuesday sunny at Brennecke's; Wednesday & Thursday cloudy/sprinkle rain throughout the day; Friday torrential rain across the entire island until 1:00pm and then hazy the rest of the day. This was the most clouds and rain we have ever had. We were there from May 28-June 4, 2011. I think this time must have been a fluke because we have been in May before and did not see weather like this. Here's hoping that our June 2013 trip will bring much drier, brighter and sunnier weather!

Songdoc, I know your next trip is during the month of June. If you have been in June before (I'm sure you have but I would need to look over your trip reports again), what was the North Shore like for you?

Mahalo a million to Songdoc (and others)!!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Songdoc...oh my gosh, I was just looking over your "Warning: This Could Lead to Addiction -- Songdoc's Latest Kauai "Must-Sees" and we have many things in common. It's been awhile since I've read that one and I had my jaw open as I read some of the places in your report.

Such as:
-you went on your 2011 trip right after we got back
-the bike/walking path from Kapa'a to Kealia (we LOVED this path, rented bikes at Coconut Coasters and went past Kealia all the way to the end)
-you already know but again we have the Sealodge in common
-I couldn't believe that you did the Okolehao Trail (DH & I so wanted to do this hike but once we got started we realized that I would need long pants, different shoes and mosquito repellent). It is on our list for 2013!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM

We were there the middle of May, 2010, and we also hit a very, very wet week. I had been reading trip reports on Trip Advisor, and people who were there the week before had great weather. We just hit a low pressure system that sat over the whole island.

I hope you have great weather for your trip! The waterfalls are great, but seeing the sun is also really nice.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Hmm, We were thinking about July 4, 2013.

So, perhaps a rundown of May/June/July weather experience would be great. I have an extra day, thus the reason for the 4th. I wonder if that is a mistake. Not trying to steal your post louis.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM

Well, we were there (staying in Poipu) in late July 2007 and the weather was spectacular. (We've also been in March - also spectacular, although it apparently had rained for 5 weeks straight before we arrived - and in October, when it was beautiful but cooler (high 70s instead of mid-80s, but still beach weather).
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM

I don't think you can reliably predict the weather for ANY month. I've been lucky and have never experienced more than a few days of rain during my long trips--although there are brief showers many days. The winter is notoriously wet on the North Shore--but that hasn't been my experience.

I've been there four or five times for extended trips thru June/July - and have never hit more than a few days of serious rain. Hopefully, my luck will continue--and I hope you get lots of bright, sunny days for your '13 visit.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

From a weather perspective June is the best month of the year:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#kauai

The two or so weeks of bad weather last May were unusual. May is one of my favorite times. The ocean is noticeably warmer, there are still fun waves on the north shore, the weather is usually nice, and not as many tourists.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM

You got me curious and I found this website that lists the average highs, lows, and precipitation.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...graph/USHI0060
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM

it is a rain forest, yes? And still Paradise, raining or not. Enjoy.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

I know nothing can be predicted for any time or any trip but I just like to read about other experiences. I've actually looked too, Songdoc, on weather.com for the averages.

I like the hawaiigaga site, thanks hgjames.

I didn't take it that you were stealing my post spirobulldog....
A May/June/July weather experience is a good idea. I was blaming my May trip on that torrential rain we had but in fact it was Friday June 3 that caused all that rain! I really think it was an unfortunate fluke for us.

When is the last time you went to Hawaii spirobulldog?
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM

I have never been. Thinking Kauai as 1st choice or Big Island as 2nd choice. I can only be gone for long weekend type trips, so not sure that I should even do it at this time, but think we will anyway. My wife and daughter might stay for a few extra days on their own. If I go July 4th I could stay a full 5 days and possibly 6.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM

I have been there quite a few times and different times of the year. I was there last May (mid-May) and got rain also, pretty significant for 2 days...The year before, not one drop of rain in May (2 weeks) (I almost missed having rain!) It's weather...you never know, we are having 80 degrees today in CLE.(???)
Understandably you like to play the percentages of when the weather is the best. We picked June this year also. So let's hope June is warm and sunny!

So far, March is not a month I would choose again..was there in 2007, bad weather system..rained in Hawaii for 33 days straight.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:26 AM

So far, March is not a month I would choose again..was there in 2007, bad weather system..rained in Hawaii for 33 days straight.

I think I mentioned above that we were in Kauai in March of 1988 and had spectacular weather, but on the day we arrived, people at the beach told us they'd been there for 5 weeks and it hadn't stopped raining until that day!

And then we were there in late July 2007 - great weather.

And in October 2011 - great weather except for a sprinkle or two.

You never know. The only significant (as in ruin your plans for the day) rain we've ever had in Hawaii was one day in Kona inn 1978.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM

There were dreadful floods this year in March--but don't know if that's typical.

I hope it's wonderful in June this year ... because I'll be there ;-)
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

From Songdoc's current trip report:
Today has been another day of perfect weather. Oh...and I don't want to jinx it, but on the "rainy" North Shore we've had a total of seven minutes of rain (during waking hours) in five days.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM

It rained hard last night for 15 minutes around 9 or 10PM. Otherwise ... it's still perfect; well ... if you like it clear, hot, and sunny -- with a breeze providing natural a/c ;-).

FYI, the weather reports have shown "cloudy & showers" every day--and continue to do so. I think "cloudy" means a few puffy white clouds; and "showers" means a chance of a sprinkle--which might last for 5 minutes -- and be during the night.

I'm not saying it will always be great weather--but it's been perfect since I arrived six days ago.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Have been to Kauai 12 times and NEVER have we had more than a night time rain or passing shower in the day. Guess we are blessed. We do not go in summer but February and early fall. Songdoc is right - one cannot predict weather when in Hawaii but I sure would hate it if we were rained on the entire time we were there. OUCH!
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM

June 19th from my trip report:

"The past three days have been mostly overcast; no rain to speak of, but windy and mostly cloudy--not what you’d call nice beach days. I feel bad for the sun lovers who want to lie out by the pool or on the beach and bake, but I’ve enjoyed being cool--and we did have almost a whole week of sunny days."

It rained during the night and so far, it's another cloudy day.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Mahalo for the weather updates Songdoc!