Somewhere new in FL in Jan for family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four (boys 10 & 12) looking for a Florida destination for a 4 day weekend in January, different from where we've already travelled.

We have been to Orlando (Disney, Universal), Vero Beach (Disney), Boca Raton, Miami, Key West, Amelia Island, Captiva. We are looking for somewhere different, that is as warm as possible. Our favorite so far was probably South Seas Plantation on Captiva. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM

What a curious request.

You want someplace warm in FL in January, so that essentially eliminates anything north of Orlando.

You have been to the east/west and central portions of FL, as well as the Key West.

Not sure there is a whole lot more "different" in FL for you to see....unless you want to go to Key Largo instead of Key West, or Sanibel instead of Captiva....or just pitch a tent in the Everglades.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM

What about Panama City Beach or Ft. Walton Beach areas...We went several years ago and really enjoyed it...have to check with locals or weather.com for average temps in Jan. Nice beaches though!!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM

PCB in January has an avg high in the low 60's, and the water is in the upper 50's...that's not warm in my book (although I am a Floridian).

Captiva and Key West are a good 10 deg warmer in January than PCB.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Just a follow-up on my thought and why I said anything north of Orlando was out:

The record low in KW in Jan is 41
The record low in PCB in Jan is 6

You take your chances with cold fronts in North FL in January. Much better odds in S. FL
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I can best tell you about the Tampa area, where I live. Your boys would enjoy Busch Gardens with its many rides. Bear in mind that most rides are roller-coaster type and there are height restrictions. But it's a full days worth of fun.

Stay at the Alden beach resort on St. Pete Beach. This is a favorite of the early-teen group. Take the beach trolley to play goofy golf or go to the Fun Center on Treasure Island. Rent some bicycles and put in some miles on the Pinellas Trail. Go to the Pier in downtown St. Petersburg for fun, or to the Redington Beach pier or the Skyway Bridge pier for fishing. Go to Ft. Desoto to see the old fort and enjoy this large natural island. Or head up to Dunedin and take the pontoon ferry to Caladesi Island (if the weather's nice). Visit Baywalk and have ice cream. Go to the Chattaway for outdoor burgers. Rent some kayaks at Wheedon Island or canoes at Hillsborough River state park, take a picnic lunch. Go to the Aquarium or to Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. There's an IMAX movie at Channelside. The Musuem of Science and Industry is also worth a visit.

Keep your eye on the weather. Cold fronts move through Florida in the winter like clockwork. Be sure to check the paper the day before so you'll know what's ahead of you.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Brrr..didn't know that PCB got that chilly...that's why I suggested check with locals/weather.com But they do have nice beaches!!
Tandoori girl made great suggestion with Tampa Bay, it IS different than Orlando (at least in my opinion). Busch Gardens is great fun, what about Cypress Gardens, is that still around?? I love the Tampa/St. Pete area, they also have very nice beaches!! Oh, I wish I lived closer than a 4-hour drive to the beach, I'm envious!!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I think South Seas on Captiva is still closed, by the way.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:59 AM

If you are interested in the Tampa area, Tandoori Girl's suggestions are as complete and thorough as any you'll ever get. Having lived in that area now for about 17 years, and having spent the last 35 years living in central Florida, I can only add that you could encounter almost any type of weather, from pleasant days with highs of around 70 degrees, to cold snaps that will go below freezing.

Realizing that once you make a commitment to travel, you probably can't change your destination, you might want to be prepared for a possible cold shock. Bring a few warm clothes and make some plans for alternate activities. Since you seem to have been to most other areas of Florida, my only other suggestion would be to consider the area around Fort Pierce and Stuart - warmer in general than Tampa and still not quite overcome by the Miami mania. Good luck.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM

Agree about St Pete/Tampa. Took my kids there 2 yrs ago and they loved it. Would you ever consider a cruise? The only short one I'd recommend is RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas. I'll bet the kids AND parents would have a blast.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm going to look into all of them, for this and future trips to Florida.

Tampa/St. Pete sounds great. The kids would love Busch Gardens - we spent 2 days at the Virginia Busch Gardens this summer and fall. The area did cross my mind, but I didn't know if there was much of anything there other than the theme park. (My husband and I are a bit themed-park'd out, but 1 day would be ok.) It sounds like there is a variety of things to do, so we could choose to be as active as we want. It also is nice that the area sounds fairly natural. I will definitely look into this, as well as check out the other suggestions.

Tandoori_girl - I have seen you post many times (I always wondered the significance of your name). It is nice to know where you are from. I appreciate all the detailed suggestions.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Tampa/St. Pete. Thanks again everybody!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM

I think your pick is a good one...but agree that it can get cold there sometimes. I was born and grew up in the area just south of there. Every once in awhile it did get around freezing so check the weather and cross your fingers. If you are from the north, though, you probably won't think it is as cold as the natives do. I now live in North Florida and it is beautiful but WAY TOO COLD in the winter. Try our beaches up here in the Fall...that is the best time.

I really do not like Disney World but think Busch Gardens is worth a trip. It is much less intense than Disney but still has rides, etc., plus the gardens and zoo stuff. Once I went there on a cold midweek day about 8 years ago in the winter and there were practically no people there! We could ride the roller coaster over and over as many times as we wanted with no wait. So maybe you will luck out even if it is a bit cold.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the weather update. It is so cold in New Jersey now that I am looking forward to whatever temperature it might be in Florida! Happy holidays everybody.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:41 PM

We were in Busch Gardens at a really HOT time, and stumbled into the theatre for the show just to enjoy the A/C. Let me tell you, it was a GREAT show! My husband and both kids loved it- we both play music professionally and we are picky as a family, LOL, and really were impressed. Enjoy!
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LLindaC. We'll be going to Busch Gardens with a Grandma, so appreciate the recommendation to see the show. It'll be something we call all enjoy together.