Search

Something "Special" in NYC for my wife

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something "Special" in NYC for my wife

Hi all,

Leaving in nine days for our first trip to NYC . . . have a small apt. across from Central Park, a long list of things to do in our five days, tix to U2 at Madison Square Garden . . . and leaving the kids at HOME!! Would like to come up with a "surprise" for my beautiful wife while we're there . . . something to do, something to get for her, better yet some kind of unforgettable and unique experience that she'll tell her friends about when we get back home. Not a touristy thing. Know what I mean? We're thirty-somethings who most of all like to create memories. Suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM

If it was me, I would like to be taken to the lobby bar of the Mandarin Oriental hotel, which has the most stupendous view over Central Park, for a drink or dessert--they will charge a lot, so after the first drink I would start feeling guilty . . . but I think that would be a beautiful moment. In terms of something to get for her . . . nothing says New York as much as a really good bargain. How about taking her to the jewelry exchange on W. 47th St.? Whatever your budget, there's something there for her.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM
GoTravel

And while at the bar at the Mandarin Oriental, give her a sursey you've purchased at Tiffany & Co. Maybe some diamond or pearl earrings?

Nothing says I love you like that robin's blue bag and box from Tiffany & Co.

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I second the Tiffany's comment. Nothing says love like Tiffany & Co.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM

gotravel...classic, unique.
i hear that! ;-)
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I third GoT's suggestion...pearls and diamonds--mmmm....but if you don't want to spend that much, I have a suggestion: the Tiffany silver heart bracelet w/ toggle clasp. My husband got it for me when we were still dating and I love it! There's a similiar one with a Tiffany tag instead of the heart that's also popular.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM

How about a trip uptown to the Cloisters, take the A train and get off at 193rd St, look for signs for Ft. Tryon Park, then walk straight through the park to the Museum, it is one of the most beautiful spots in Manhattan, and still not well known by tourists. So much of the collection there is breathtaking, and there is a lovely little shop to buy a something nice.

There are also a few court yards around the grounds, so you can go outside, and have a beautiful background to give her a nice gift you found.

My jeweler, Max Ness (Perry is the owner) has some very interesting pieces from estate sales the address is 114 E 28th St, between Park and Lexington Aves.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
TC

While a girl would be silly not to love a baubble from Tiffany, you said you like to create memories so.........

if she is a theater person, you might consider getting her into the cast of a Broadway show. The current run of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee picks 3-4 people each night to be on stage as "spelling contestants" in the show. They are on stage for a few minutes in the first act before taking their sets for the rest of the show. If you visit the theater in advance and explain the situation, it might be possible to have your wife chosen on the night you attend. Production members were simply circulating in the pre-show crowd the night I attended and asking people at random to participate. I don't think it would be too difficult to set up. Maybe others on this board have more details.

The Circle in the Square Theatre, 1633 Broadway.

Good luck. You are a sweet husband...and I agree, memories are the best gift.

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM

TC, what a fabulous idea! There's an experience Jason's wife will long remember.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Ditto on a Tiffany bauble if she likes baubles.
or
Hire a limo to take you to the concert (or a theatre matinee and pick you later). If that doesn't break the bank, have it take you to dinner as well. I'm hearing that Club 21 is losing its cache but there are plenty of other special places from which to chose!
or
If she is a classical music person, a concert at Carnegie Hall doesn't get any better.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM
hdm

If she's an opera person, how about the Met. I've never been -- do they have boxes? Will they serve you champagne in your box? And isn't that a nice place to open a little blue box from Tiffany's?

And, Jason, would you please give my husband a call?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM

If you want to create memories, how about chartering a sailboat for a sunset sail with champagne on the Hudson? Don't know what your budget is, but if you are interested, advise and I'll post the info.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Ike

I have been to NYC over 30 times just because my wife absolutely loves the city. We usually go around Christmas but you are going at a great time. I was there last October 7th for 4 nights. For a romantic treat I would take her to dinner at The River Cafe which is under Brooklyn Bridge. The view is awesome and the food outstanding. I would have lunch at Tavern on the Green in The Crystal Room and surprise her with a gift at dinner or lunch one day. Take her down Diamond Row on 47th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues just south of Rockefeller Center where there are nothing but jewelry dealers. Trust them. They are honest and have some great bargains. Buy your gift for her there. Go to a Broadway Play and have dinner afterwards at 11 PM at one of the neat bistro's in the theater district. I would have drinks with her at one of NYC's great hotel bars such as The Carlyle, St. Regis, The Pierre et al. If you can have dinner at Daniel or Jean Georges which are two of NYC's great restaurants. I would take her on a helicopter ride over the city from the heliport around 34th. Go shopping with her at SAKS or Macy's. Go walking around Washington Square Park and have a burger at the Shake Shack. Walk around Central Park and people watch. NYC is fascinating.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:51 PM

you have gotten a lot of great suggestions but I wanted to caution you about something in Ike's post - be careful in the Diamond district. I would never categorize all of them as honest, in fact there are plenty of people there waiting to scam you with inferior products and stones. Like anywhere else, be careful and buyer beware!

Renting a rowboat in Central Park is nice this time of year, and I like the Cloisters idea, although it is a little ways away from the city.

For restaurants, I love the River Cafe, and Gramercy Tavern. The Modern (at MoMA) is very hot right now, as is The Lever House. Both are pretty trendy, "hip" and modern places, definitley something different!

Another nice night to me, is walking across the Brooklyn Bridge as the sun sets, getting pizza at Grimaldi's and then ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory (the BEST!). Really romantic and very New York!

Have fun!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM

I was going to 'top' this and hope that my DH may stumble across it. but then I realized the trip to NYC is my "special" gift. We have been once before and I became a 'little' obsessed! He knew my dream was to be in NY for xmas........12 weeks to go!!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Does anyone know the name of the rotating restaurant that has an excellent dessert bar? I know...rotating restaurant - hokey and touristy. However, it was one of my favorite places to take friends who visited me when I lived out in NYC (too bad I can't remember what it's called). The lower level is a little more sedate and might be nice for a quiet dinner, although I don't know how good the food is.

I agree that the Brooklyn Bridge is an excellent walk, at sunset or otherwise.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:46 AM

The only rotating restaurant is the View in the Marriott Marquis hotel.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:54 AM

What a wonderful idea jason_b.

Since you can get Tiffany's anywhere, I second the suggestions of doing the Met or Tavern on the Green.

Have a great time, NYC is fablous!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:02 AM
hdm

elgordo,
I've been looking at reviews of the restaurant (there's also a lounge) at The View and they're uniformly bad (bad food, bad service, high prices). Several people here have suggested that the lounge on the 8th floor of the Marriott Marquis -- I think it's called the Broadway Bar -- has a better view.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:10 AM
TC

Several here have suggested a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, dinner at River Cafe or Grimaldi's Pizza. If that is your fancy, try adding a wonderful concert at BargeMusic. A converted river barge featuring the finest chamber music in NY is tethered right next door to River Cafe. The view, looking back across the river of the lights of Manhattan, is spectacular at dusk. Very romantic. You will get an idea of the view from photos on their web site and a sense of the music through the posted reviews. We have done this many times - a few with Sunday brunch at River Cafe and an afternoon concert at BargeMusic.

www.bargemusic.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -