Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

something in between LA's mondrian and bev hills 4 seasons??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi -- three women late 30's doing week in LA - leaving hubbys and babies at home. looking to stay somewhere super nice and comfy. love to have great rooms for hanging and watching movies, a great bar, a great pool and fun places to walk to for shopping and eating during day or night. mondrian could be really fun but i think just a bit too much of a scene for us. we always love 4 seasons but afraid that i won't like having to get in the car for everything from the 4 seasons bev hills. is there something as plush as the 4 seasons with a bit more trendiness (but not as much as the mondrian!) that has walkable places. (we're avoiding santa monica because we've been there) really was hoping for hollywood area. anything else within 2 hours of LA could be open to as well....thanks for any ideas we're so confused!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Would the W be too trendy for you? I've not stayed at the one in Westwood, but the W in SF is fabulous.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM

What about Chateau Marmont? Still on the Sunset strip for shopping and people watching and eating out, but a little more sedate and secluded than the Mondrian. Also on the strip are the Standard and the Argyle. Standard more trendy, Argyle more old school. Have fun!
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:52 PM

The Chateau and the Standard are good suggestions. I've never stayed at the Argyle but would love to, it's always so expensive.

The Wyndam Bel Age seems to fit your needs too. It's on San Vicente and Sunset, right behind the Viper Room. All the rooms are suites (king bed and living room) and they have a wet bar area too. The pool is on the roof w/ hot tub. It's very nice w/ a touch of "hipness". They have a nice bar and the restaurant is 4 star. The prices aren't too bad either for the area, they usually seem to be around $150 to $200.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:30 AM

We stayed at the Sunset Marquis Hotel and Villas in March and would highly recommend it. It's right off the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood but feels very secluded. Lovely gardens, great little restaurant for a quick lunch. Pool was nice although not the most luxurious I've seen. Rooms were large- all suites I think. The villas might be a good option for you too. The bar was great-- saw George Clooney there one night. And we were amazed at how friendly the staff were.
http://www.sunsetmarquishotel.com/