Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Narrowed it down to LA and Santa Barbara.(Thanks for all the other posts).

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:08 PM
RK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning update...
We have picked October to go to California for 6 days. We are going to LA and are staying at the Mondrian. I know some have posted negative comments but I am willing to see myself. It looks like a funky place, the 2 restaurants there are supposed to be soo yummy, and I look forward to people watching at the hotel and at the bar. Then we are driving to lovely Santa Barbara and staying at either Harborview or Inn at Spanish Garden??? Beach vs. in town. Any suggestions there. We will spend $295 or less.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Where are you from? Avoid Down Town L.A.! Why on earth would you want to go there? Unless, you need to go to the garment district or the jewel mart. Stay west my dear. Think Santa Monica - West L.A. ish. I would not go to down town for anyone or anything. Not a vacation spot AT ALL!

Santa Barbara is lovely. Beach and town are walking distance. I would opt for a place on the coast and walk or drive onto State street during the day. Try Brophy Brothers on the pier upstairs for some great seafood. Ask the locals where it is and they can tell you. A real local hang out.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:11 PM

What are your main priorities with what you want to see or do? We stayed in Santa Monica and it was nice but we spent most of our time in/near Burbank, Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We didn't venture down town at all and I personally wouldn't stay downtown. Being near the beach was nice but I would stay close to the things you want to see the most so you don't have to drive so much. There are some of the worst drivers in this area than anywhere I have ever seen.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:41 PM

I have stayed downtown, but only on business trips! Their is really nothing go on down there. If you just want to people watch, downtown Disney may be more exciting.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:22 AM

The Mondrian is in a great location in West Hollywood - you should enjoy it very much.

Venturing downtown can be a lot of fun - museums, outdoor markets, concerts, Olvera Street, Chinatown, the new Cathedral, the new concert hall etc. Anyone who lives in LA and never goes downtown is missing out and I wouldn't tell a tourist to absolutely dismiss it.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:50 AM
RK
Original Poster

We are from CT and never been to LA. Is it that bad where the hotel is? We are going to a Price is Right taping on Monday and wanted to stay around town. I thought it would be great to stay on Sunset Blvd. We were going to stay in beverly hills area but thought it would be too out of the way from the action over the weekend.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:07 AM

First of all: The Mondrian (I believe its true, rather pretentious name is "Le Mondrian") is indeed in West Hollywood. Downtown LA never even came up, calamari-- please consult a map of the metro area before posting alarmist warnings. It's a short hop to Television City (corner of Fairfax and Melrose), which is where (I think) they actually tape "The Price Is Right". My objection to the Mondrian is the snooty attitude of the staff there (BTW, don't let them know you're going to a "TPIR" taping-- you'll be treated better if you say that you're "going to Television City to check out the facilities, crew and talent"). But, in its defense, it does deliver the goods for those looking for a more "Hollywood" type of atmosphere. That area of Sunset is just fine. You're a quick drive to the Strip, there's a couple of blocks of high-end boutiques near there (and Chin-Chin-- where the Chinese Chicken Salad was perfected!), and Beverly Hills is a hop, skip and jump down La Cienega away.

If you'd like to drop some serious money (a few Benjamins at least) for a once-in-a-lifetime type of dining experience, there's an eatery near you (off of Melrose, as I recall) called Bastide that's getting rapturous press reviews. Only open on weekday evenings, two seatings (6 and 9), exquisite French cuisine (the limited seatings allow the chefs to have absolute control over food quality at all times).
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:56 AM

The Mondrian is a great hotel, right in the middle of the Sunset strip. I can't imagine why anyone would have a negative review of this place. It's very popular and convenient. Be sure to check out Sky Bar (since you're a hotel guest, you won't have to wait in line like everyone else!). Great view of the city from there and trendy at night.

From the Mondrian, you're very close to the sights in West Hollywood, Hollywood and Beverly Hills. It's also not that far to either the beach or downtown. Despite what some others have said about downtown, there are a couple of things there worth seeing (the new Cathedral, Disney Hall, the Library, Olvera Street, etc...) but you'll probably spend more time on the Westside. Let us know what activities you're considering and we can give you tips on them.

Santa Barbara is gorgeous. Haven't stayed at Harborview but really like Inn at the Spanish Garden. Be sure to spend time wandering State Street. Also, check out the Mission and surrounding rose gardens. Have fun!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM
RK
Original Poster

Well, it's good to hear some positive reviews. I do think I am set on staying at the Mondrian. I'll let you know how it goes. We are open for itineray suggestions on Saturday-Sunday.(we like good food, shopping,beach,museums) The only must is on Monday for PIR.
Also, Has anyone stayed at the Harborview in Santa Barbara?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:26 AM
mdv

The MOndrian is in West Hollywood and it's a great location. I agree with ReneeS; downtown has a lot to offer. I happen to enjoy the Conservancy walking tours, the Central market and all the things ReneeS mentioned.In fact, when I first moved from CT to LA my friends directed me to Westwood which I didn't like, fortunately I was invited to a party in the Bradbury Building downtown and that sparked my interest in the area.

Anyway, you are centrally located to reach the Getty, the Los Angeles County Museum, the Peterson Automotive
Museum ( cool cars). You can shop on Melrose, Robertson, Rodeo area easily.
Easy access to Hollywood also--the Chinese theatre, footprints, etc.