Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Someplace to stop between Williamsburg VA and Charleston SC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/someplace-to-stop-between-williamsburg-va-and-charleston-sc-869218/)

wrenwood Dec 9th, 2010 04:33 PM

Someplace to stop between Williamsburg VA and Charleston SC?

We might be driving in late March from Williamsburg VA to Charleston SC with friends from Germany. Anyplace close to I-95 that would make an interesting short stop to break up the trip to Charleston?

Gretchen Dec 9th, 2010 04:52 PM

I suggest you drive south on I95 to I40 in Nc and then go to Wilmington, NC. That would be a nice place to stop. Then head south on route 17 to Charleston along the coast--about a 4 hour drive. There are lots of interesting places south of Wilmington, depending on your time.
I REALLY would not take I95 all the way to Charleston.

suewoo Dec 9th, 2010 05:15 PM

I completely agree. I just did that 95 trip again-ACK. Wilmington in late March will be great. Go to Airlie Gardens. The Minnie Evans Bottle Chapel is on my short list.

http://www.airliegardens.org/photo_g...ge=&photopage=

Gretchen, have you been?

You could take highway 17 down through Myrtle and stop by Brookgreen Gardens, Pawley's Island and the Riverfront in Georgetown. Then follow 17 into Charleston, being SURE not to miss the great Seewee Restaurant in Awendaw.

Ackislander Dec 10th, 2010 08:36 AM

17 is a wonderful ride all the way to Charleston (well, on to Beaurfort and Savannah as well). It is congested around Myrtle Beach but otherwise really pleasant with lots of interesting towns, each of which has somewhere good to eat! Would not dream of taking I-95.

Gretchen Dec 10th, 2010 10:06 AM

No, we haven't. Have to put it on a list. When we go to the beach we turn into slugs--lie around and eat great food!!

suewoo Dec 10th, 2010 10:21 AM

Right, Ackslander. But MB is not TOO bad, relatively speaking, in March. I only took 95 because I had to. Bleh.

BeniciaChris Dec 11th, 2010 12:14 PM

Glad I popped in here. Your info was helpful to us. We are planning to fly into Charleston for a few nights before a timeshare in HH. Then we have one day to get to Williamsburg for another timeshare. I had looked at a map & thought Williamton would be a nice stop. Then the drive from Williamsburg to Charleston. Thanks you helped another fodorite. Can you rec'd a place to stay in Williamton? Place on a beach?? Thanks Not till Sept/Oct next year-Chris

suewoo Dec 11th, 2010 02:05 PM

Wilmington? Williamston?

Gretchen Dec 11th, 2010 06:01 PM

I think it is going take a pretty good day's drive to get to
Williamsburg from Hilton head. They ain't gonna stay over somewhere. But then who knows where they are going.

wrenwood Dec 12th, 2010 06:35 AM

Thanks, it looks like getting off of 1-95 only adds about 45 minutes to the trip, and will keep us sane.

I think Airlie Gardens looks like a good first stop if it's a nice day. They have the NC State Champion Live Oak, and my husband and I are tree freaks. The website says they have the menus of about 15 restaurants that are close by (if we leave Williamsburg early enough to make this a lunch stop)

Brookgreen Gardens looks amazing but I’m afraid will add too much time.

Georgetown looks like a nice stop, any great Antiques stores there? Or should we just head for a short walk around the Riverfront?

suewoo Dec 12th, 2010 06:55 AM

If you are tree freaks don't miss the Angel Oak outside of Charleston. It will take your breath away.

Can't remember about antiques on the Riverfront, but there are some cute antique-y places between G'town and Charleston and loads once you get here.

DO DO DO stop at Seewee and eat.

Gretchen Dec 12th, 2010 09:16 AM

Georgetown does have a few antique shops right downtown--a mall type all the way at the south end looks kind of cute. There are a few consignment places/antique shops along 17 in Pawley's Island also.
Lots of cute gift type shops along the Riverfront in g'town.

wrenwood Dec 13th, 2010 03:49 AM

Suewoo, the Angel Oak is definitely in our plans, that is one reason we have always wanted to go to Charleston! Once we take our friends to the airport we're going to stay another day, maybe go to one of the Bald Cypress Swamps.

I don't think we'll make it to eat at Seewee as we will be going by there so late in our drive to Charleston. And at the moment I'm not sure if we will be headed back up that way for any sightseeing.

Anyplace close to Charleston where our German friends can see Alligators in natural habitat?

suewoo Dec 13th, 2010 03:59 AM

Then get something to go. Trust me on this one, lol!

Do you mean Cypress Gardens? Great choice. The black water reflects the azaleas and it will be gorgeous.

In March, the gators may still be asleep if it's chilly. Your best bet is to tour Middleton and take the carriage ride through the swamp. But don't count on it. What you CAN count on are dolphins. Since no people will be in the water they swim in close. Where are you staying?

wrenwood Dec 13th, 2010 09:28 AM

No not Cypress Gardens ~ there's a boardwalk trail through the swamp at Francis Beidler Forest and at Congaree National Park. Found out about them on this website

http://theshagbarkspeaks.blogspot.co...savannahs.html

Can you walk through the swamp at Middleton, or is it too long or too far?

We're staying at The Govenor's House B&B on Broad Street. Do you know it? I got a good rate, and I'm hoping it will give them a good experience of "old south"

Where's the best place to see Dolphins?

suewoo Dec 13th, 2010 10:09 AM

Don't know if you can walk through the swamp out at Middleton. It's an old road through the race paddies and it may flood at high tide. Not sure. They'll know out there what's best. Remember-do not disturb the napping gator, lol! He can go from 0 to 60 in seconds.

The Frances Beidler is great. You'll love it. Remember the weather that time of year can bee iffy. Come prepared.

The Governor's House is lovely and if you got a deal even better!

Te best place to see dolphins is on the Breach Inlet bridge between Isle of Palms and Sullivans. There are parking lots on either side and sidewalks on the bridge. If you take a kayak trip through the marshes you'll see them there too.

Now to the most important part: where are y'all gonna eat?

Gretchen Dec 13th, 2010 01:19 PM

Well, I have missed the point--they are driving all the way to Charleston from Williamsburg--I had thought they might stop overnight at Wilmington, which I think would be a better trip, personally. I'm not sure I see any time to stop and see anything much.
To the OP--Seewee is just north of Mt. Pleasant--almost in Charleston.
At least stop and get some fried pickles--your German guests will be amused and probably like it a lot.

Gretchen Dec 13th, 2010 01:22 PM

Mapquest says this is about a 9 hour drive.

suewoo Dec 13th, 2010 02:08 PM

I want some of those now. And some hushpuppies-best in town.

I've done that drive. You're right. Williamsburg is way east from 95.

suewoo Dec 13th, 2010 02:12 PM

There are sight seeing things near Seewee; Center for Birds of Prey, the shell rings, Sewee Center and the great Sewee Outpost. It's a great place to shop! All kinds of interesting stuff.