Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Some place special to stay in Idaho for Anniversary on way to Spokane airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/some-place-special-to-stay-in-idaho-for-anniversary-on-way-to-spokane-airport-366754/)

Juldie May 24th, 2008 08:14 AM

Some place special to stay in Idaho for Anniversary on way to Spokane airport?

I would appreciate a suggestion of where would be a great place to stop for our Anniversary night in late June. We will have just spent 10 days in the Canadian Rockies and are flying out of Spokane the next day.

We will only be looking for 1 night and I see some of the places have 2 night minimums. I thought of staying in Spokane but there is a basketball event and the city will be packed the weekend of June 27th.

I am open to all kinds of suggestions; it will be capping off our Rocky adventure. Not sure if Coeur D'alene is the place to be.

azzure May 24th, 2008 10:25 AM

If you're looking for someplace special within easy reach of Spokane Airport, I think the Coeur D'alene Resort is your best option. I would have suggested the great old Davenport in downtown Spokane, but if the city is packed for the basketball event the Davenport would likely be full as well.

If you've never seen Lake Coeur D'alene and environs, it's pretty impressive. Maybe not as impressive as the Canadian Rockies, but nice just the same.

jojo46 May 24th, 2008 01:59 PM

Ditto. After a hectic conference in Spokane, my husband and I took a short drive to the CDA Resort. Once rated #1 in Conde Nast. We had a wonderful relaxing one night stay there. Views of the lake, strolled the boardwalk and town, wonderful dinner at Beverley's with great service. We plan to return to explore further.

Juldie May 24th, 2008 06:17 PM

Thanks for the recommendation for the CDA Resort, unfortunately after checking their website it looks like there is no availability. Are you familiar with the Holiday Inn Express? The reviews on Trip Advisor for that property are very positive. We could always have dinner at Beverly's if you think that is the best place. Do you know if the Holiday Inn is in a good location?

jojo46 May 30th, 2008 07:43 PM

We're actually revisiting CDA this week and not at CDA Resort this visit. My hisband wants to stay downtown away from I-90 near restaurants so we are trying retro themed Flamingo Motel rated highly on Trip Advisor. BUT Holiday Inn Seltice is soooo highly rated and we heard good things from friends so we will check it out and report back.

Juldie Jun 1st, 2008 05:41 PM

jojo46,that's great, thanks for thinking of me; anything you can find out about the Holiday Inn Express I would appreciate.

enzian Jun 1st, 2008 09:05 PM

What time is your plane? Would Sandpoint work? It is only 30 minutes beyond Coeur d'Alene. (About 90 minutes from the Spokane airport)

Or perhaps Priest Lake?

Juldie Jun 2nd, 2008 05:23 PM

enzian: our plane is at 1:00 PM. I think I researched both Sandpoint and Priest Lake and didn't come up with anything. Do you have a particular suggestion for a nice place? I would love to hear about it.

jojo46 Jun 3rd, 2008 04:29 PM

Hi Juldie, in CDA now, visited the HI Express, chatted with very friendly reception who pointed out lots of features but I didn't ask to check a guest room. Many positives-everything gleaming, comfortable/classy lobby, sunny breakfast area with additional outside seating under a pergola, complimentary hot breakfast, special beverages and snacks some evenings, 24 hr pool etc. An Outback restaurant is across the intersection but HI Express also overlooks a new village development 'Riverstone' which has a variety of restaurants (mostly chain) cinemas, and a riverwalk path and small park.

The one negative for me however is that it IS adjacent to the I-90 Exit 11. Handy for you getting to the airport but the setting can't compare to the Lakefront/Resort in downtown CDA. I would ask for a room overlooking the grove of pine trees at the rear. And CDA's downtown, great for strolls, walks, meals, is only a 5 minute drive down Northwest Blvd. There's lots of parking (first 2 hrs. free) foot of 3rd street adjcent to the CDA Resort.

I also checked out another lodging, the very new Hampton Inn within 'Riverstone'. I don't think anyone has posted a review yet-at least I couldn't find one. Friendly helpful reception too, very well appointed, tasteful high ceilinged lobby, large classy breakfast room, offers hot breakfast, 24 hr. pool etc. Coeur d'Alene must bring out the best of these chains when they design their new places!

Good luck with whatever you choose and have a wonderful time!

Juldie Jun 3rd, 2008 07:05 PM

jojo46 - it is so sweet of you to take the time out to write while you are away. I really appreciate you stopping in there. Your description sounds in line with that I have heard. I wasn't aware how close it was to the highway.

It is too bad the CDA resort does not have availability for us. If you are aware of any place that is close to the lake in a more picturesque setting you can always let me know. I think I will check out the Hampton Inn also.
Thanks again! Have a nice time.

jojo46 Jun 3rd, 2008 08:10 PM

Juldie, CDA Resort seems to beautifully DOMINATE the downtown lakeshore and there doesn't seem to be other options apart from self-owned condos. And unlike Fodor recent trip reports of empty gardens and poor maintenance, there are geraniums blooming everywhere, maintenance crews are gardening, re-glazing aggregate pathways, the Italian-like lake boats (reminds us of Venice, Burano) are busy ferrying golfers to the course down the lake. Must be June!!! There does not seem to be other overnight options here and I personally would avoid the 1-90 end of Sherman Exit 15 for lodging. Would rather stay at newer HI Express or Hampton at Exit 11

My husband (retro guy) and I have been happy at the Flamingo Motel (#2 Trip Advisor) closer to downtown at 7th and Sherman where we've walked to stores, lakefront and restaurants. BUT think 1954 'Auto Court' (park in front of unit, no pool) turned into an upgraded themed bed and breakfast, without breakfast. Owners VERY friendly and helpful, it's so cosy, clean, well appointed with special touches and very fluffy towels (we're in Victorian King room) but it's still a very small motel on a main street so not for everyone. Enroute, we stayed in VERY spacious Lakeside Lodge and Suites in Chelan so it seemed smaller to us in comparison.

Hope this info is helpful. I was a research librarian and then school administrator for many years, and in early retirement my husband thinks I've turned into a frustrated travel agent!

Juldie Jun 4th, 2008 06:04 PM

jojo46, you can let your husband know I appreciate your generosity in taking the time to help me out. For some reason getting a good handle on the area and finding a great place to stay on our last night of our 10 day adventure in the Canadian Rockies has been a real challenge.

enzian Jun 4th, 2008 07:49 PM

Hi Juldie---

This is the place I had in mind at Priest Lake:

http://www.hillsresort.com/

It is very different from the Coeur d'Alene Resort---it is mostly cabins, much more rustic. But Priest Lake is (I think) the loveliest of the Idaho Panhandle's three large lakes; it is more remote and therefore more peaceful. There is no realy town (like there is at CDA or Sandpoint) It will take you longer to get to the airport from there than from CDA.

As for Sandpoint, both these places are new since I was last there, but they are both on the lake:

http://www.lodgeatsandpoint.com/

http://www.innatsandcreek.com/

The Edgewater was the old standby, some years ago; I don't know what it is like now. But the setting is nice:

http://www.sandpointhotels.com/edgewater/index.html

Again, it would be a longer drive to the airport than from CDA, by about 45 minutes.

Juldie Jun 5th, 2008 08:18 PM

enzian, thanks very much for posting. Tonight I have been checking all these places out. I really like the Lodge at Sandpoint. I had considered that before but 1 night wasn't available but I think it might be now. It will be about an hour longer to the airport than Coeur d'alene but I like how quiet and peaceful it looks.

From what I can tell it seems as though Coeur D'alene is more of a city. The lodge looks like a beautiful spot for our anniversary and last night of our trip. I will let you know if I book it. Thanks very much.

enzian Jun 5th, 2008 08:52 PM

Yes, CDA is more of a city---I think the population is now almost 40,000. Sandpoint is probably 7,500 to 8,000. Both are growing, but Sandpoint is still quite small with a very charming downtown area and some nice restaurants. And a nice swimming beach.

I used to live there, but it has grown and changed a lot since then. As I said, I did not know the two newer places---they did not exist even the last time I visited there. The Lodge at Sandpoint is at the south end of the bridge, so out of town, but a pleasant walk across the "Long Bridge" if you choose (there is a pedestrian bridge alongside the highway bridge). If they can assure you there is no highway noise, it should be very nice. I used to live not far from there, on the same side of the lake/river, and that spot seemed to cry out for a nice inn that would take advantage of the views.