Reload this Page >

Solo female in New Orleans 3 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 01:33 PM
melissa o'malley

I will be in New Orleans for business by myself for 3 days in the beginning of April - staying at the Fairmont. Any recommendations of neat places to eat and see that I will not feel wierd being by myslef at? (Obviously I will not be stroling Bourbon at night). Never been there - so anything would be helpful - is the Zazerac as good as it sounds?
Thanks

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 10:45 PM
Sophie

I was also solo in New Orleans a few years ago and did practically everything there is to do - there and in the vicinity -. I took a boat ride in the bayous where they feed the aligators. Not bad. There are lots of plantation homes outside New Orleans and several tours available. You'll get to visit about 3-4 of them in a half-day trip. I really enjoyed the Audubon Zoo. This is a wonderiful zoo and I would say the most beautiful I have seen in the U.S. (way better than the San Diego one). I loved strolling in the French Quarter. About 3 or 4 houses have been turned into museums. I would highly recommend doing at least one of them; you will be nicely taken into the past. Go to one the Cafes du Monde and enjoy their beignets and chocolats chauds! The only thing that really disappointed me in New Orleans was...the Mississipi River!

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 06:26 PM
Eileen

I lived in New Orleans for three years & loved the place. However, being a solo female you will need to be careful of where you go, especially at night. I like to go alone to the Riverwalk shopping center, which is not far from the Fairmont. It overlooks the river & has many unusual things. I also recommend the Aquarium- go see the world's only living white alligators! During the day I would definitely venture into the French Quarter , but not to Bourbon St.; Instead, go down Royal Street. It has fabulous stores, from beautiful antiques to unique New Orleans Memorabilia. I do suggest also going down to the Garden District (via the street car ) and looking at all the old homes on St. Charles and Prytania. Have lunch at Commander's Palace and take a look at the above ground cemetary right there afterward. My main concern in New Orleans is straying off the beaten path, but mainly at night. Catch a cab & have dinner at NOLA'S or ARNAUD's. It should be a cheap cab ride due to the short distance. Just have the restaurants call a cab for you to leave. You'll have a blast!(p.s. Don't ride the streetcar at night, ever!)

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 02:52 AM
Michael

Eileen's suggestions are right on the mark. For dining I would add G and E Courtyard Grill and the Napolean House. The Napolean House is a long time funky bar/restaurant. If you like live music (and boy does New Orleans have great live music) a cabride to Mid City Rock n Bowl (they don't have music every night) would be fun. Always great music and a very diverse friendly crowd gathers there. Cab rides are definitely advisable in the evenings. United is far and away the best cab company in New Orleans. As Eileen said any restaurant or bar is more than happy to call your cab for you and to come fetch you when your chariot is waiting outside their door. New Orleans is wonderful, friendly town and as long as you take some sensible precautions you will have a great time.

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 03:26 PM
missy

Although I do disagree about Commanders Palace (it tends to be a tourist trap and WAY overrated) everything Eileen said was cool. Here are a few more suggestions from a native Louisianian and a frequent visitor to New Orleans:
*Toujac's on Decatuar right down the road from Cafe de Monde. You can get a seven course gourmet meal for about $25-$30 and you can eat there in your jeans (not recomended at Arnaud's).
I have eaten there ever since I was a little girl and have never been disappointed. Also, if you go, keep your eyes peeled, it's kind of a hole-in-the-wall.
*Pete Fountain's in the Hyatt on Poydras. Safe because it's in the Hyatt and fun because it's Pete Fountains.
*M.S. Rau's on Royal is the abousolute most wonderful place in the world!!!! Even if you aren't into antiques you'll love this place. Don't miss the stuffed lion or the saloon bars in the very back of the store. I LOVE THIS PLACE! If you go I hope you do to.
Enjoy New Orleans, that's what it's there for!