Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Solitue,Snowbird, Alta ?Spring (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/solitue-snowbird-alta-spring-660204/)

NOMOREADLER Nov 21st, 2006 08:57 PM

Solitue,Snowbird, Alta ?Spring

I am traveling with my family to Utah from 3/27/07 to early April. 3 experts-try anything-,one mellow expert,a SLOW black, and a 7 year old with experience. Any ieas on where to stay? We need ski in/out.....comfort 3 bedrooms, and a good value. Anyone know who to go off-piste (backcountry) with? My sons need to have fun but I need them as safe as possible.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

egret Nov 22nd, 2006 02:45 AM

All three of those resorts are just fine, and you may want to add Park City to your list, but a smaller resort, Sundance,near Provo is actually our favorite. It is owned by Robert Redford and is great for families.They have a very expesive lodge on the premisis, but our favorite is the Residence Inn in Orem. It's very nice and is a favorite with skiiers. They have studios,one and two bedroom units. In addition to the bedrooms, they also have sofa sleepers in the livingroom. Your accomodations also come with a free full breakfast.

Dayle Nov 22nd, 2006 05:57 AM

Hi Nomo,

I've been skiing in Utah for over 30 years and now live in Park City. Learned at Sundance and Snowbird is my favorite!

For the time you are coming and the experience of your family, stay in Little Cottonwood for sure!

Park City would be OK, but for the end of March, early April Snowbird and Alta are the place to be with the best conditions. April in Park City is VERY slushy and end of season conditions.

As far as going "off piste", I would not recommend it in Little Cottonwood for people who are doing a first trip. The two areas combined will offer you all the challenge you need - steeps, cliffs, bowls, spring powder all inbounds.

Have fun!

Dayle Nov 22nd, 2006 06:31 AM

PS - Sundance is beautiful, but has the lowest elevation of all the UT resorts. Not recommended for late season.

enzian Nov 22nd, 2006 08:36 AM

I love Snowbird/Alta too, but I will add that Solitude offers guided backcountry skiing, with avalanche transceiver, climbing skins, freeheel adapters, etc. included in the price. It is more expensive than a day of lift skiing, but given that equipment, lunch, and a guide are included, it's not bad. My one caveat is that the "freeheel adapter" is probably a Trekker, which snaps into a regular downhill binding to allow the heel to be "free". It adds a bit of weight, but if your off-piste skiers are strong, it probably won't make much difference to them. You remove it for the downhill runs.

Solitude also offers Honeycomb Canyon, which is backcountry terrain, but accessed by a lift (no climbing skins necessary).

Ski in/out accomodations are available in Solitude Village (Creekside Condos).