Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Solana Beach Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/solana-beach-question-415124/)

jd_denver Aug 18th, 2008 09:56 AM

Solana Beach Question

We are headed to Solana Beach for a week in late September. We are renting a condo through Dave Stubbs (same condo as we had last year). While we loved the condo, condo management and the location, it is not very well stocked as far as beach "toys." They had a few old beach chairs and one kids body board.

Does anyone know of a beach store that sells inexpensive body boards, chairs, umbrellas, kids toys etc? We will be buying this stuff for the week and not lugging it home on the plane. Maybe renting is an option too? When we were in Cocoa Beach FL there were a bunch of "cheap" beach shops all over, but we didn't find these types of shops in Del Mar/Solana Beach area. We'd be willing to drive up to Carlsbad or down south to pick up supplies for the week.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

jd_denver Aug 19th, 2008 07:18 AM

ttt

anyone :)

mlgb Aug 20th, 2008 09:20 PM

There's a Big 5 Sporting Goods store on Lomas Sante Fe in Solana Beach. I'm not sure if beach stuff will be in stock after Labor Day but you could also try Target in Encinitas, or a Rite Aid.

Barbara Aug 21st, 2008 08:29 AM

Even supermarkets often carry that stuff, but possibly not after Labor Day.

MonicaRichards Aug 21st, 2008 08:39 AM

The Longs right along Sierra (I think that's the street name) has beach toys etc. That's where we always buy ours when we stay at "our" condo in Solana Beach.

jd_denver Aug 22nd, 2008 08:30 AM

Thanks everyone. We did hit Longs for some beach toys (and beer :)) We also went to a Target in the area but the beach toys were gone by that time of year.

Big 5 is a good place to keep in mind.

Too us it is still beach weather, but I can see how we are a little out of season.

Can't wait - only 4 more weeks!

MonicaRichards Aug 22nd, 2008 08:39 AM

Just curious, which is "your" unit? We used to always get SUR116 but the past two times it's been DMBC841A.

jd_denver Aug 22nd, 2008 10:25 AM

MR,
We are in SUR94 again. Do you like DMBC841A better than SUR? I was willing to try something new, but they offered us the same price for the same unit as last year. We loved the oceanfront location and the size is perfect for us.

We are Mom, Dad and two girls, Kindergarten and 2nd grade. I have read a bunch of your posts but I can't remember - do you have kids?

Have you done Legoland? and do you think that my kids are too old? Last year we did Disney and Sea World. We will do Sea World again, maybe the Wild Animal Park or Legoland, and a trip over to Coronado. Mostly we are happy on the beach!

Thanks

MonicaRichards Aug 22nd, 2008 02:50 PM

We also have two girls, kindergarten and second grade! I think I like SUR as a complex better than DMBC because of that large hot tub and slightly better landscaping. But we like DMBC841 better because SUR116 is up all of those stairs and has no direct beach access. DMBC841 has a back patio that opens onto the ocean access and is very close to the stairs down to the beach. Plus it's on the same level as the parking garage which makes loading and unloading so much easier. We have done Legoland (two of my best friends live in San Diego now so we go down for a week each year and have for seven years now), and I don't think your girls are too old. Some of the rides are only for older kids. We've also jetted up to Disneyland for a day from Solana Beach, it's about a 1.5 hour drive. We don't really like Sea World that much, it seems more commercial than most places that house animals. One thing we really like to do is go to Children's Beach in La Jolla and look at the harbor seals and the pellicans. In the spring, when we go, the harbor seals are breeding and the little babies are so cute.

sheri_lp Aug 22nd, 2008 04:30 PM

CVS or Longs would have some inexpensive stuff

socialworker Aug 22nd, 2008 06:34 PM

Your problem is already stated. It is the wrong time of year, even in sunny CA! (We have had similar problems not being able to find any significant beach-type items on Cape Cod as early as mid-August!) FL is more of a year-round "beach" destination. It seems that CA does not consider themselves in that category.

Could you request that the management purchase a few of the items you want now while they still may find them in stores?

sheri_lp Aug 22nd, 2008 10:07 PM

good point - they just better buy some stuff now and ship it out when they go.

itsv Aug 24th, 2008 02:07 AM

See if there is a Sports Chalet. I know there is one in UTC near la Jolla. right now toysrus is selling off their beach items. Also I have good luck with the local drug stores who always seem to have that kind of stuff. Longs drugs, RiteAid, Walgreens are some choices.

Your kids are the perfect age for Legoland. Plus they just opened up a seaquarium up at Legoland that might interest your children. Discount tickets can be obtained at Costco.

jd_denver Aug 25th, 2008 08:40 AM

I picked up some beach toys as Safeway this weekend. Big sale - not too many beaches in Denver! We will just pack them. We got our tickets on Frontier before they added the surcharge for checked bags, so two bags each is ok.

We'll have to rent body boards if needed and maybe chairs.

Monica - Sounds like we have very similiar vacations! I think we will check out legoland. Do any of the condos that you have used, have beach supplies?

What are your (and everyones) favorite places to eat with the kids. We will go back to Pipes in Cardiff and Hide Away cafe for breakfast, Pizza Port (twice), Roberto's, and En Fuego Cantina & Grill in Del Mar. We wanted to go to Brigantine for their happy hour but we never made it.

Thanks!!

MonicaRichards Aug 25th, 2008 10:34 AM

The condos have beach stuff some of the time. It really matters what the renters before you have left and taken. I don't think the owners actually stock any of this stuff, and I know we usually leave what we buy, so it's hit or miss.

We don't usually eat out for dinner. Our kids do better at lunch. We do of course like Pizza Port, but because of our friends that live there we're more doing barbeques and takeout than eating in restaurants, and then eating lunch at the zoo or whatever.

mlgb Aug 25th, 2008 12:13 PM

Have you tried Stratford Court Cafe in Del Mar? Good for breadfast or lunch and they have an outdoor eating area.

www.stratfordcourtcafe.com

I also liked Americana in Del Mar which is open for breakfast, lunch, and now dinner.

ncounty Aug 25th, 2008 02:33 PM

Stratford is one of my favorite places to go to on the weekend. For a splurge, you could go to Pacifica Del Mar for lunch. I found it to be a great experience with entrees under $15 available and a good value for a high end restaurant with gorgeous views.

Also, try the Pacific Coast Grill, especially for Happy Hour, 4 or 5 to 7 pm? Amazing burgers for only $5! great value.

Encinitas has some terric places as well. Go to Bubby's in the Lumberyard for THE best ice cream in town. They have exotic flavors like roasted banana and vanilla rose.

jd_denver Aug 26th, 2008 09:55 AM

I have been to the Stratford - cute place and good food.

The Pacific Coast Grill looks great for happy hour and within walking distance. I'll add that to the list!

julieh Jan 5th, 2009 07:31 PM

Question for jd_denver and MonicaRichards --

I'm just wondering how you picked Solana Beach. I'm trying to pick a location to stay in the San Diego area in April and am having a tough time. I have a kindergartener and a preschooler. Do you like the beach there? We are looking for a beach where we can run from waves, find shells and build sand castles. I would also like a boardwalk with rental bikes nearby.

We are flying into Irvine (staying with family that night), then planning to go to Legoland, Sea World, maybe the Zoo, and a couple beach days in between. My daughter gets motion sickness so I am trying to minimize the driving as much as possible.
Thanks - Julie

ksucat Jan 5th, 2009 08:04 PM

I live in the ranch across the hi-way from SB and it is a lovely beach community.
La Jolla Shores is another great beach for kids.
Hotel LJ Shores has some great deals and its oceanfront..lots of great hotel deals to be had..check expedia for ideas on price.
both beaches are great for waves and sand castles, great restaurants and accesible to all.