Reload this Page >

Soho/Tribeca hotel choice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Carol

I will be staying in midtown for 5 days and want to move south when the hotel's conference rate expires, to walk around Soho and Tribeca. The SoHo Grand and the Tribeca Grand are quoting a low price of $279 on the weekend only, more than I want to pay. More affordable are the Holiday Inn downtown (yes, I know its not stylish) and the new (also unstylish) Howard Johnson on East. Houston between Forsyth and Allen. I'm afraid its too far east; am I right? I don't want to stay at Washington Square hotel since I once lived nearby and know the village, whereas SoHo and Tribeca would be new to me. Opinions on my two hotel choices so far,please. Any other hotels to suggest I might not know about?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Jen

Don't forget 60 Thompson.

Take a look at biddingfortravel.com, which lists 60 Thompson and Triberca Grand as the only 4-star hotels that Priceline has awarded in the Soho-Tribeca area. By bidding on Priceline, you'd be nearly certain to get one of these at a much better price. And if you decide to settle for the Holiday Inn, you can bid on that on Priceline, too,as a 2-star.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 10:19 AM
J

Haven't been to the lower-priced options you suggest, but provided you like walking, the HoJo's on the Lower East Side should be fine (has anyone stayed there to confirm it is decent enough?)

The Lower East Side is a funky, fun neighborhood---very young and hip. If that describes you or something you appreicate, you'll have fun. And you're only a short walk to SoHo/Tribeca, closer even to the East Village. If the price is that great, too, you won't mind spending a few bucks on cabs if you get tired of walking.

I live in the West Village and can walk to the LES in 15-20 minutes. It's not very far.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Jeanne

Try quikbook.com. They have been quoting prices under $200 for queen-size rooms in both Soho Grand and Tribeca Grand. With quikbook, there is no bidding, and you pay the hotel directly, when you check out.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Carol

thanks, but...quickbook won't budge from the 259 price, probably because of the dates I need. but you are right about the better price for the Holiday Inn downtown. I still would like more opinions on LOCATION for soho and tribeca walking, the Holiday Inn on Lafayette or the HoJo on Houston at Forsythe. Thanks.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:21 AM
danna

I stayed at SoHo Grand for $269 in Feb 2002, it was the cheapest rate I had been able to find in years.

I think Holiday Inn downtown is a good location to SoHo. I'm considering it myself for an upcoming trip. I saw it somewhere for $180ish.

I desparately want to stay at the Mercer, can't seem to find it for much under $400. Anybody have ideas?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Carol

thanks to Jeanne I rebooked the Holiday Inn downtown for $139. That will leave me money for great wine and food!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Carol

PS I rebooked it on the Quikbook she suggested. Previously the best rate was the AAA rate direct from Holiday Inn at $152. thanks again Jeanne.