Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Soho, Tribeca, Canal Street, Greenwich Village.

Jul 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I know this is a very broad question, but looking for some imput from locals and those who have travelled to NYC.

DH and I took our DD there last year for her 16th birthday and fell in love with NYC. We did all the typical tourist things basically from The Dakota south to the Statue of Liberty. We have decided to go back just DH and myself this time and want to get into some of the other areas, as listed above. Not for any particular reason but just cause when I mentioned that we have been, many people ask if we have gone to these areas and when I say no they are shocked.

What is there to see in these areas?

Apparenly I was told I missed some great shopping on Canal St, what area of canal street would be the best for clothes and purses???

Any info at all actually would be extremely helpful.

Thank you all in advance for any help

Kim
Jul 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Not sure if it matters, but thought I should add we are staying near Times Square and are only there on Saturday and SUnday.

Thank you
Jul 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM

Canal Street only if you want to shop for schlock.
Jul 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM

There are genuine legal jewelry bargains on Canal Street, if you know where to look.

The neighborhoods you noted are a combination of residences and merchants. Soho has become an expensive area with Prada and Bloomie's. The cast iron buildings are magnificant and there are art galleries as well.

The West Village has elegant residences and wonderful small shops. And still has some of the remnants of being an Italian neighborhood and all that occured in the 50's and 60's.

Tribeca is more residential but is near Soho and the fianncial district.

Depending on where you stay there are all walkable from one another.
Jul 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the info. I can't wait to get back to New York!!!!
Jul 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM

SOHO is great for shopping, your daughter will love it as will you. There are many very expensive shops there as well as some bargain shops such as H&M for up to date fashions for not a lot of money. I've been taking my daughter there since she was a child and to this day (she's 23)it is still her favorite area of NYC.

I know I'll get in trouble for saying it, but: Canal street is a complete Zoo, with knock offs of purses, watches, cheap tees, etc. But, all the young girls seem to love it to say they have a Coach bag for $40.00. Frankly it gets on any adult's last nerves to be there since it's so extremely crowded, but the teens love it. If you go, make sure to haggle over the prices.

The West Village is a great place to shop, walk around , eat. It is wonderful and you will love it also.

Having said all of the above, be prepared for major crowds on Saturday in those areas.