Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Soho Grand area during Christmas season (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/soho-grand-area-during-christmas-season-573044/)

katiekate Nov 27th, 2005 10:40 AM

Soho Grand area during Christmas season

We were given tickets to the Radio City Spectacular and a room at the Soho Grand (early Xmas gift) We'll only have about 24 hrs. in the city, Dec. 17, of all times!! I know time is short, but we'll do our best to have a great time, although exhausting.
My question: What will it be like in the Soho area? Will it feel as crowded? What are some things we shouldn't miss? I've never been to this area, but understand it's fun. Can you recommend a trendy, hip place for dinner/cocktails, maybe with a view?? We love all cuisines; budget not an issue this time.
Lastly, our Spectacular tickets are for Sunday @ noon. If we arrived to the Radio City area a couple hrs. early, what would we be able to see and do before the performance? Will stores be open that early? And, will the "tree" be as crowded??

nytraveler Nov 27th, 2005 03:29 PM

That close to Xmas most of the major stores seem to open at 9am at the latest - some as early as 7 am.

In that same area you can see the tree, the skating rink at Rock Center, St Pat's - and perhaps get to the top of the Rock.

katiekate Nov 27th, 2005 03:41 PM

Whew...we could REALLY get an early shopping start.
BTW, what is "top of the Rock"?

Any suggestions in the Soho area?
Thank you nytraveler.

Scarlett Nov 27th, 2005 05:41 PM

Hi katiekate
Lucky you to get such a nice present!
The Soho Grand will be great fun to stay in, you can go shopping and eat in some great places!
It is always crowded in NY at Christmas, Soho is no different.
I would recommend a couple of places to eat/drink...

Aquagrill for Seafood
on Spring Street
Zoe on Prince St
Provence on MacDougal
breakfast/brunch at
The Cupping Room on W Broadway
The Cub Room on Prince

The Rock would be Rockefellar Center :)
I think the Tree is always crowded but not to be missed.

You will also be close to Canal Street for some street shopping !

katiekate Nov 28th, 2005 08:25 PM

Thank you Scarlett. I've heard of Aquagrill and always thought I'd like to try it. Not familiar with the others, but will take a look at Zagat.
Have you ever stayed at the Soho Grand?
We actually got to see the "tree" a couple yrs ago (stayed at Plaza Athenee), but it is a must see again this time. Just heard on the news it is 74' tall!!! Would love to see it being transported in. Wow!!

Scarlett Nov 28th, 2005 08:37 PM

Hi
No, we lived in NY and rarely stayed in hotels. Although there were weekends when the children were small and my husband and I "ran away " to a hotel :)
But friends from California have stayed there and liked it very much.
If you want to see the tree from a warm spot, go into Saks 5th Avenue and go up to the mens dept on the 6th floor ( I believe)..you can look out the window right on Rockefeller Center and the Tree :)
Since you will be there early, walk along and look at all the holiday window displays!

katiekate Nov 29th, 2005 07:08 AM

Ditto on the "running away" when the kids were little, although, mine are big now. We live near Dallas, so that's where we run!!!