Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   SoEast Relo Options--Suggestions Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/soeast-relo-options-suggestions-please-513475/)

Traveller4 Mar 17th, 2005 01:05 PM

SoEast Relo Options--Suggestions Please

I am currently trying to decide on where to relocate--I've travelled much, am a SoCal native and have lived in NoVA as well as NOLA. NoVA has become, among other things, too congested and costly, and a team of wild horses couldn't get me back to SoCal! I have enjoyed and my heart longs to be in a place which is smaller and has a sense of community. I have narrowed the options to the Southeast--I'm definitely a Southerner. Texas property taxes are too high, or that would be a consideration. So, smallish, close enough to a city to get cultural/shopping fixes, warmer is better--snow is for vacations! Kidlets are grown, so schools are not an issue. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

formerfreqflyer Apr 8th, 2005 01:37 PM

I know this is a late reply but maybe you are still looking. I grew up in GA & lived in Athens and Atlanta, then Durham, NC, now Dothan, AL. I travel (again!) a good bit for work in GA, FL, AL, MS, and LA (mostly driving now). Alabama is not as bad as its reputation may make it seem - easy winters, low property taxes in many areas (though sometimes that equals substandard education), and promixity to other areas. There are quite a few areas near Montgomery and Birmingham that act as bedroom communities, close enough to get a Target fix or a decent restaurant without overnighting. Hubby's former boss lived on Lake Martin and it sounded like paradise. We like Dothan (easy to get to I-10 which will take ya anywhere, 3.5 hrs from B'ham and Atlanta) but it's not a cultural hotspot by any means. Also it has TWO Wal Marts and NO Targets so that should tell you something! Our kids live in Atlanta 'burbs and as much as we miss them, I would not go back now to the "metro ATL" area -- unless I could afford the mountains, or Lake Oconee, I don't think we'll have a Georgia zip code again. Best of luck as you look & learn and welcome "home"!

starrsville Apr 8th, 2005 01:49 PM

The N GA mountains ARE beautiful. There are also lovely towns with a sense of community within an hour of Atlanta that would be great options - as long as you don't have to do the commute chaos. I had a big smile on my face when I was driving in the beautiful spring GA countryside while listening to the crazy commute reports on the radio. But, the city and its options are there for touring Broadway shows, fine dining, etc.

I'm with FFF - I need a Target in close proximity!

oliviadawg Apr 9th, 2005 04:55 PM

A couple of my favorite places:
Athens, Georgia -- It has a smaller-town feel (no traffic, at least compared to northern VA or Atlanta) but it's got the University of Georgia so there's a lot going on ... lots of cultural events and good restaurants and cute little shops. It's about an hour and a half drive to Atlanta, four hours to the beach, 1-2 hours to the mountains.

St. Augustine, Fl: Doesn't get much cuter than downtown St. Augustine, close to the beach, good restaurants, good sense of community, close to Jacksonville but you don't have to deal with the sprawl.

Charleston, SC: Historic, beautiful, very manageable size, lots to see and do.

Good luck with your search ...

GoTravel Apr 9th, 2005 05:02 PM

"So, smallish, close enough to a city to get cultural/shopping fixes, warmer is better--snow is for vacations! Kidlets are grown, so schools are not an issue"

Anything described above has already been found out about and property values skyrocketing.

Charleston is getting very expensive. You can't get a shack on the penninsula for under $500,000 or anything close to the beach for under that.

I like St. Augustine and the Jacksonville area.

Beaufort, South Carolina.

Southport, North Carolina.

benj Apr 10th, 2005 10:03 AM

I like the St Augustine area since I have family in Jax. I live N of N.O. so love that area too- country with easy access to whatever "big city" stuff I need. My brother-in-law moves to Alpharetta, Ga next week. I like the sound of it but it won't give you the heat you want.

leahinsc Apr 11th, 2005 09:48 AM

Ok - based on your preferences here are my suggestions in no particular order
Greenville, SC - you can see the mtns, gets humid and muggy but not as bad as Beaufort, SC. Art -Peace Center and BiLo Center, decent housing prices, Universities - Furman and Clemson(down the road).
Asheville - NC - housing is more expensive - we are easily at $180sq ft in many areas. Lots of arts, UNC Asheville in town - great weather - a little snow but usual not much to get excited about, much less humid than Greenville.
Athens, GA - great university town - you can get into Atlanta easily - hot summers though - don't know about housing costs
Wilmington,NC - you have to worry about hurricanes but it is beautiful - UNC wilmington, film industry,
Chattanooga, TN - pretty setting on the river, mild climate but I would suspect it gets humid, active arts and cultural community

ReadyKilowatt May 5th, 2005 03:11 PM

Hi folks. Watching this thread closely. :)
Moving from Massachusetts to Savannah area most likely in 2 months. No more snow for this late 40's couple, no kids. Rents look very cheap, have a job offer on the table.
Richmond Hill gets recommended as the place to live. Any comments about that area?
Thanks!