Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Socks & Sandals................. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/socks-and-sandals-436148/)

bonniebroad May 27th, 2004 08:13 AM

Socks & Sandals.................

do you combine the two? We're having an argument in our family as to just how tacky (or not) this habit is! ;-)

J_Correa May 27th, 2004 08:15 AM

If you are on the California coast, particularly northern California, then white sport socks with birkenstocks, tevas (or whatever they are called), or soccer sandals are fine. Otherwise, DON'T DO IT!!!! :))

swalter518 May 27th, 2004 08:17 AM

Don't do it, please, for the sake of the rest of us, please don't do it-only if you are just stepping off a sports field and took of cleats and slipped on sandals are they acceptable and certainly not for anyone over 18!!!!!!!

E May 27th, 2004 09:45 AM

Agree with J Correa: socks with Tevas or Birkies are a "look," and quite acceptable. I would even say that oatmeal- or other earth-colored cotton socks, in addition to white, are OK, with those. Otherwise, no.

GoTravel May 27th, 2004 09:48 AM

For the love that is good and decent in the world, don't do it.

cohru01 May 27th, 2004 09:52 AM

Unless you have exceptionally attractive feet, don't do either. Ugly feet looks tacky.

Since we are on the travel talk category, NEVER wear sandles in an airport or in unfamiliar territory. With all the terror threats going on, you won't get far if you have to run. If you're running with a whole bunch of terrorized people, you will likely lose a toe getting stepped on.

Jayne11159 May 27th, 2004 09:56 AM

Every year the 5th grade at my childrens' school has a tacky tourist party. I've had three go through the fifth grade and guest what most of them wear!

Ryan May 27th, 2004 10:02 AM

Depends. Only go with the socks and sandals if you are also going with the belt and the suspenders. In the world of high fashion that's called A-C-C-E-S-S-O-R-I-S-I-N-G.

lisettemac May 27th, 2004 10:07 AM

Only if you're under 2.

Please, I'm begging you not to do this.

beachdreams May 27th, 2004 10:29 AM

Actually it is quite common to wear socks with soccer (adidas) type sandals. Now with any other sandals - NO!

GoTravel May 27th, 2004 10:35 AM

No no no no no no no no no no no no no.

There is never ever a situation where socks and sandals can be worn together.

In fact, you should separate in your house.

No Adidas, no tevas, no Nikes, no nothing.

Orcas May 27th, 2004 10:39 AM

Birks with toasty socks are the State Footwear of Oregon, so don't knock it, people.

peterboy May 27th, 2004 10:39 AM

'socks with Tevas or Birkies are a "look,"'

Really? I haven't been to Berkeley lately but how much further has this abomination spread through the Golden State?

FainaAgain May 27th, 2004 10:42 AM

Sometimes. Depends on what else I have on. With long pants, yes. With long skirts - knee-highs. Everything else (like shorts or shorter skirts) - depends.

Fodorite018 May 27th, 2004 10:46 AM

Here in the PNW it is widely accepted...usually with tan hiking socks though, and shorts and a fleece jacket or vest.

here_today_gone2Maui May 27th, 2004 10:47 AM

It's a "look" alright. Not a good one, but, definately a "look."

*shudder*

peterboy May 27th, 2004 10:50 AM

'Here in the PNW it is widely accepted...'

I guess that means it should be a trend in Massachusetts within a year or so.

missjanna May 27th, 2004 10:53 AM

Coming from NYC (where fashion starts and inevitably dies) I have to say NO NO NO NO and NO.

I've seen it quite a number of times (more on men than women) and it always reminds me of someone's old grandpa that walked out into the street in the dirty t shirt, black knee length shorts and suspenders, going to pick up his newspaper while he didn't give a damn what he looked like!

While we're at it, if you're going to wear the sandals with socks, you may as well throw on a fanny pack, a beatnik cap and a windbreaker....

GoTravel May 27th, 2004 10:55 AM

Thank you missjanna.

I just don't understand how someone could think it's okay.

If you need to wear socks, don't wear sandals.

If you are doing something athletic, wear sneakers.

earlxx May 27th, 2004 11:02 AM

If you want to wear them so wear them. Do you think people really care? Unless they are those people who judge others the way they look and dress. I wouldn't wear them but that's just me not because so many people think that for the sake of the rest of humanity I shouldn't. For instance if you see someone wearing white sneakers in Europe is this going to have some negative effect on your trip? Is it tacky? What's tacky to one person it might not be tacky to another