Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SoBe in June...Hotel and Car Rental Help!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I'm travelling to SoBe for my 29th birthday in June & narrowed down my selections, but now I need help from the good people of this board to narrow my selections further! Any help would be appreciated!
The hotels I have it down to are as follows:
Holiday Inn South beach on Collins
Hotel Shelley on Collins
Winterhaven on Ocean Drive
Best Western on The Bay on 79th St Causeway
Blue Moon on Collins
Sovereign on Collins
Royal Hotel on Washington
I know this is a lot, however I got rates of under $80 a night on all of them, it's hard to decide! I want to be close to the action but not so close that I lose sleep!
Also does it make sense for me to rent a car if I plan on going to Coconut Grove, Kendall and oher areas or am I better off taking cabs from the hotels? I am hearing that parking is a pain in the butt or just plain expensive...
Any help on these hotels and car rental advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:49 AM

We stayed at the Blue Moon a couple of months ago. Very nice. I'd stay there again. Good location, but quiet. I've read some bad things about Hotel Shelley, but have no personal experience.

There are a couple of public parking ramps on Collins, probably five or six blocks from the Blue Moon. Rates were considerably cheaper than valet parking. Depending on how long you're going to be there and how many trips you'll be taking, you could spend a fortune on cabs. Something like $26.00 from the airport.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Of the hotels you have listed, I would either choose The Winterhaven or Blue Moon.
The Winterhaven is on the Upper end of Ocean Drive, so it will be quiet, but still convienent & across the st from the beach.

As the previous poster stated, the places you list that you want to go are far away, and each trip one way would cost the amount a rental car would cost per day - Florida has some of the cheapest rental car rates in the country. So yes, you should ren instead of cabbing.
Again, to support what the previous poster suggested, there are serveral municipal parking lots scatted around South Beach, That are SUBSTANTALLY cheaper than valet parking. Although they do not have in/out priveledges, the low fees still beat out other parking alternatives. The only problem with the municipal lots, though, is that they fill up, and by nighttime it will be difficult to find a spot in some of them.

Unless you have specific plans in Kendall, such as visiting friends, there isn't anything to see there, besides The Falls Shopping Center, which is nice, and the stadium.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:08 AM

Checked out Blue Moon - nice rooms and good value. Winterhaven is perhaps better location and for that price I would consider going there.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Do not stay at the Holiday Inn South Beach. It is a dump! There are much nicer places for the money. The Nassau Suite Hotel on COllins was nice and had a good location. 1 block to the beach.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help...I'm actually going from June 4-8 (arriving around midnight on the 4th) and I managed to get a rental car from Budget for $20 a day, since I have friends in Kendall and Coconut Grove. I narrowed the hotels down to the Winterhaven and the Aqua Hotel & Lounge, but can't seem to find any reviews at all about the Aqua Hotel...anyone know anything on this??? Thanks!