Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

So, the airlines, starting today, will be "cleaning up their" acts regarding customer service...

Search

So, the airlines, starting today, will be "cleaning up their" acts regarding customer service...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 04:12 AM
Mary

Do you believe it?

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 09:13 AM
Bernie

Well, considering how much time and money I spend--for both business and pleasure on airline tickets--and considering how unhappy I've been with service, I'm sure planning to keep an optimistic eye out.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 10:47 AM
Melinda

I really don't thing that service is the main problem. Being squeezed or wedged into a seat is frustrating. I am a small 5'2" person and if I am in the aisle seat I get bumped by everyone walking by. I don't spill out but still get whacked with luggage and backpacks and the beverage cart. The folks behind me have to hang on my seat and tip me back to crawl out of there row. The person in front of me gets my knee in his back when he does the seat recline (however slight). Not being able to access the floor with the row so narrow. Never mind trying to work on a laptop. We can't always afford or get first class, but when we do the extra room makes the flight.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Joe

I agree with Melinda. Cramped seats are by far my biggest complaint with the airlines. I am 6'1" and I do not enjoy coach travel, but I cannot afford first class tickets.
I propose that the arilines set aside several rows in coach class with more leg room. I would be willing to pay a little more for the extra leg space, even without the wider seats that are in first class.
While they're at it, they can add a few wider seats, with coach legroom, to accomodate those who are uncomfortable with the narrow aspect of the seats.

Most planes are only 80% full anyway. Why not re-arrange some seats, and give us some space.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 11:55 AM
Bob Brown

I hate to be the bearer of gloomy news, but I just read the January issue of the Consumer Reports Newsletter. Editor Laurie Berger stated as follows: "Airlines will fly more nrrow bodies on long routes and squeeze a galling number of new seats into coach."

Anyone who has read the European forum has seen comments on the terrible seating on Boeing 777 flights operated by some airlines. The situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Congress is not planning to consider any legislation until consumer complaints pile up. Consumers states that it doubts that the airlines can do better. So if you have a complaint, let it be heard -- loud and clear.
[email protected]
(Address courtesy of Consumer Reports.)

Or call 202-366-2220 and let the DOT hear your complaint. If we sit and suffer, nothing will happen.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Al

Well, airlines will be better when hogs learn to crochet. Seriously, isn't it amazing when you read (or experience) these incidences of passengers behaving so badly! Even attacking flight crew members! We saw a female security guard give an obstreperous passenger the old armlock and heave-ho in Chicago last year. Man, did that lady know her business! The male (and drunken) passenger hardly knew what hit him he was off that plane so fast. So when passengers clean up their act, so will the airlines.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Anonymous

What a dumb comment, Al.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 02:26 PM
Lori

Bob's right guys! It is not going to get any better, in fact it will most likely get worse. The airlines are out to make money and are not particularly concerned with passenger comfort unless it affects their bottom line. Unless we all stop flying that is not likely to happen either. It never hurts to complain to the correct agencies. It's getting more and more difficult to find any seat in any configuration that is remotely comfortable for more than a hour or two and the trend is for more narrow bodied planes with 3 abreast seating and one aisle. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal just recently about this too. As long as revenue does not suffer from passengers boycotting flying service will continue to go downhill.

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 03:29 PM
Donna

I, too, have read that the airlines are planning to replace seats with more and smaller ones...