Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

So has anyone been to luau at Renaissance Wailea?

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Saw some references to this luau in some other threads (and yes I read other comments about OLL and Feast) but no one said if this one is any good or not. Is it buffet or table service? Is show decent?
I would like to do one of the luaus or shows just not sure which one yet!
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM

My family went to the Renaissance luau summer of 2002 and thought that it was pretty good. My daughters were 18 and 21 at the time. As I remember, they had round tables of 8 or 10 with sitdown drink service but buffet style dinner. Drinks were of course included and I was even able to get a Manhattan (which was a pleasant break from my diet of mai tais). The show was enjoyable but be forwarned it was a bit more "Vegas" and somewhat less reverent than say the Old Lahaina Luau which we attended in 2000. IMHO, if you are staying in Wailea (especially if you are at the Renaissance) and you want the taste or experience of a luau, this one will really be fine. It is generally considered the best on in Wailea. If you are staying in Kaanapali or don't mind the drive, certainly the OLL is a better show with the food about the same. Hope this helps. If you have anything more specific feel free to ask through this thread.
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:18 PM

Ohio_Paul - what is the cost of the Renaissance Luau? We are staying there in May and are considering going to that one . We thought it might be a bit more "cheesy" than some of the others but at least we could say we experienced a luau. Do you know how I can get information specifically about their luau without calling? I know I can find info about the hotel on Marriott.com but it doesn't tell anything about activities at the hotel. By the way, did you like the hotel itself?
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are staying at Renaissance in Mokapu wing. I know we will drive to Lahaina/Kaanapali at least one night but am wondering if we want to just do luau at our hotel.
Thanks for the information. I think I will call hotel to get more information from them.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM

Hawaiigirl,
I am sorry but I really do not remember how much the luau was, although I know it was quite a bit cheaper than the Old Lahaina. I am going to guess that it was around $65-70. As far as the hotel, yes we liked it very much. If you are in the hotel proper (not the Mokapu wing) you do sit fairly far back from the beach but this is true for just about all of the Wailea resorts. We had an ocean view room just off the main lobby which overlooked the very lush grounds, pool, and distant ocean. The room was somewhat small but very clean and nicely decorated. We often had coffee sitting on our lanai overlooking the activity down below. As stated on other sites, the pool itself is really quite small. I am not a big swimmer so I did not care and there were alot of chairs and chaise lounges so getting one was never a problem. We only ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was ok...nothing really special. The Maui Onion which is an outdoor poolside spot was actually a great place for a midday meal. Really good burgers and famous onion rings. That with a beer or MaiTai was great. The beaches fronting the hotel are very nice for either sunning or swimming...don't know about snorkeling. Since the Renaissance is a little cheaper than many of it's Wailea neighbors, I think you will be quite happy. We are returning this summer but are going to try the Kea Lani for a change as we have my grown daughters with us and thought the extra room of the suites there would be helpful. I am sure the hotel could answer your question on price, but it sounds like you have the right approach...if you are staying there, why not give it a try.
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM

We went there last Christmas and it was very good and classy. I've been to several over the many years and this was definitely on the BETTER side.
TIP: get in line very early before it opens to get a good table. Luaus can be really hokey but a fun every so often event.
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM

seen it in 2000. I agree with ohio-paul,its kinda cocktail loungy if you know what I mean. But all luaus are different, we got to get on stage and show are stuff and we got to take pictures of our daughters with the performers, which they still cherish.
The Old Lahaina Luau is IMO the best, but very expensive,prices went up this year to $82/adult, ouch.