So. California to South Dakota in 10 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We're trying to plan a trip from Southern California to South Dakota and would like to do it in 10 days. We want to camp along the way, perhaps a reasonable hotel stay a couple of nights along the way. I don't even know how long it would take to get to So. Dakota from here. Would like some feedback on how long it might take for the round trip and the best places to stop & see along the way. We have two children, ages 9 & 11, and the whole family likes to fish as well. Will be traveling in August 2007.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention a couple of things. My husband has a bad back, so hiking areas need to be fairly level. Also, we love the water! Swimming in natural springs or streams would be great!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

*shameless little bump in hopes that someone can offer some hints*
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I can't help you with distances. You may want to use Mapquest, or Rand McNally to give you a general idea of distances & time. But it will be important to know when in August you will be going, for the simple reason that the Harley Davidson Rally takes place in & around Sturgis, South Dakota the week of AUG 6 - 12 this year, as it does every year. It will make a difference if you can get accomodations anywhere near or far in that area.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I should probably ask where in South Dakota you are going, but I'll use Rapid City as a start...anything else will be farther.

Los Angeles to Rapid City, South Dakota (Mt. Rushomre area) is approx. 2785 miles round trip. You are looking at approx. a total of 45 hours driving time round trip. You divide that up into 10 days and that's almost 300 miles per day. Even if you did 6 days of driving 500 miles per day...that only gives you 4 days of site seeing. This is not something I would recommend doing with a 9 and 11 year old in 10 days. If you can come up with a week or so more, then I'll come up with ideas of places to stop and camp along the way.

There's plenty of things to do that are a lot closer in Utah and Colorado that I would suggest. If you like fishing and water, then maybe Lake Powell, Utah.

Utahtea