Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SNORKELING,WHALE WATCH& SUNSET CRUISES IN SOUTH MAUI

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got 7 more sleeps to begin our month long trip to Maui and Kaui. As we are staying in South Maui in Kihei/Wailea area, we are looking at all the above cruises. My 88 yr old aunt (who is very spry) will be with us for 2 wks so we're looking for a nice sunset cruise for her, but we also would like to do snorkeling and whale watch besides. We don't want to leave from Lahaina due to the distance to travel and would prefer to find something that leaves from Kihei or Wailea. Has anyone any experience with Kai Kanani as they seem to leave from Maui Prince Hotel? THanks for any help you can provide. We did Pacific Whale twice two yrs ago and loved it - did whale watch and the 5 hr snorkelling and both were great but it would be nice to try something new, as we tend to do the same thing year after year.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM

Blue Water Rafting is a blast!

http://bluewaterrafting.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM

We took the Kai Kanani morning deluxe snorkel to Molokini. We enjoyed it very much. They have a good spot in the crater to anchor and snorkel. THey also stopped at the turtle cleaning station a little ways out from the beach at the Maui Prince, where we saw several turtles.

The food was very good, and the crew was friendly and helpful. The boat was full, I believe, and it didn't seem too crowded, there was room to move around, and sit.

I will say that since it sails directly from the Prince (of course, you know it's not the Maui Prince anymore, the hotel changed management. I forget the new name....Makena Resort, I think?) to Molokini, this boat doesn't actually spend very much time sailing. I mean, its only about 15 minutes from the beach to the crater, so you won't spend a lot of time moving, or seeing coastal scenery. It's a straight shot out and back.

All in all we really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:40 AM

We took that boat to Molokini one year in May(no whales), its just like the Lahaina boats but just a lot more covenient if in the South. Caveat- at that time(& I think it hasnt changed) there was no dock, it just picks up right at the beach so your Aunt will have some excitement just getting on.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM

yes, they still pick up right off the beach. It's not too bad getting on, but if there are swells it can be a little tricky. I wouldn't think it would be a great choice for a sunset cruise with your Aunt. I suspect a larger boat would be better.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM

Be careful of a beach acces to a boat. If your aunt has any heart or respiratory problems, the walk on the sand, itself, can be a huge stress on the heart. Then there is the water entrance on to the metal ladder in the swells.

All in all, it would be safer if she could board from a dock.