Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SNORKELING ON OAHU AND KAUAI 10-24 DECEMBER 2004

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving for Hawaii on Friday for 2 weeks, 1st week on Oahu @ Marriott Ko Olina and the 2nd week on Kauai at the Marriott Beach Club.

We’d like to do some snorkeling on both islands. Will the water temperature be warm enough without wet suits?

Also, where are the best places to go on both islands? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I never snorkled in Hawaii. But the water there is very warm. The average water temperature is in the upper 70's to low 80's, year round.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Whether you need a wet suit depends on your individual temperature tolerances, I suppose.

Recently the water (on Oahu) has been around 80 - 83 degrees. I don't snorkel much, I dive mostly. Since you probably won't be going deeper than 8 feet, I don't think you'll need any thermal protection.

Your best bet for snorkeling on Oahu is Hanauma Bay. The North Shore is just too rough this time of year.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Reply to jdolpies,
We experienced pleasant snorkeling conditions at Ko Olina end of October and early Nov. without need for wet suit. Agree with chepar that Hanauma Bay has great snorkeling though sometimes it is closed because of unfavorable conditions.

Haven't yet been to Kaua`i in Dec. but suspect conditions may vary and suggest considering snorkeling alternates at Lydgate Park (nearby), or Poipu Beach Bark.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I would suggest bringing wetsuits it you have them -- feeling cold really takes the joy out of snorkeling/diving. I always wear a dive suit - even in the summer. It really is a personal thing - but when in doubt -- wear a suit. I've heard lots of people complain about being "too cold" when snorkeling/diving -- bu I've never heard of anyone complaining about being "too warm" when wearing a suit. Also -- suits provide extra bouancy and give you protection from the sun. Have a great trip!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM

We were in Oahu in December a few years ago and the water was freezing!!!! We hadn't brought our wetsuits because we figured the water would be warm.... As the previous poster said - take your wetsuit!!!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Hmmm...wetsuits for snorkeling is a bit much. Our water temp in December is usually in the upper 70s to low 80s.

As for Kaua`i snorkeling in December, you'll need to be vigilent to surf and weather conditions. Today we've got waves at 10-15 feet up here on the north shore, expected to drop to 5-6 feet by tomorrow, then when the new swell arrives at the end of week, back to 10 feet or more. Big waves can crop up at any time on any part of any of the Hawaiian islands, and winter surf _always_ includes treacherous rip currents and life-threatening undertows. Local radio gives regular surf reports, as do the local papers.

When in doubt, don't go out...we want you to come back again!
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:09 PM

The comfort level with the water temp over long periods may have something to do with "natural body insulation" so to speak. We spent a week snorkeling in the Caymans a few years ago and it was during a hot, hot June with temps near 100 every day and I'm sure the water temp was at least 80. It felt like bath water but if we stayed in the water snorkeling for more than an hour or so, my lips would turn blue and I was shivering. (Even though the part in my hair got burned) I'm on the thinner side and just could not maintain my body temp as well as my chunkier friends. Remember, even if the water is a nice 80 degrees, your body temp is 98. That's a pretty big difference. Also, when snorkeling, in contrast to scuba or swimming, you don't move much. You just float around and don't work to generate heat. I borrowed a wetsuit after a couple of days and could stay out much longer. I guess the answer to your question depends on how much time you're gonna spend in the water floating around. Another plus to a wetsuit while snorkeling is your back doesnt get burned. Otherwise, wear a t-shirt at least.
Karen
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 12:42 AM

No one snorkels in wetsuits here.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Was in Kaua'i at the end of November and the water temp was delightful, although maybe being in for more than an hour could cause some lowering of your body temp.

O'neill makes shirts the some surfers use to guard from sun, etc. and might be worth looking into. They are much thinner and lighter than wetsuits.

Aloha
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM

I always rent a short sleeved half wetsuit in Maui, even in the summer. I just cannot stay warm in the water for more than about 15-20 minutes. Unless you are constantly moving and generating body heat, your body will eventually feel cold because of the difference in body heat and water temperature. Because I like to just float when snorkeling, I almost always get cold. Maybe once you get there, you can see how you do and then, if necessary, rent a wetsuit.