Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   snorkeling in Wailea, Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/snorkeling-in-wailea-maui-466032/)

aly579 Aug 10th, 2004 06:45 AM

snorkeling in Wailea, Maui?

Hi! We're planning a trip to Maui in September to attend a wedding. We will be staying at the Wailea Marriot. I've never been to Maui (just to Kauai and the BI). Could anyone tell me if there is good snorkeling from a beach near Wailea? Or, do you need to take a boat trip? Any place near Wailea safe for a child (7 y.o.) to snorkel? Thanks for your help!

eileen Aug 10th, 2004 06:50 AM

Hi, we just got back. The book Maui Revealed was invaluable regarding beaches and good snorkeling spots. Can't remember the actual names, but the beach where the Maui Prince is and the beach where the Makena Surf is are both good spots. They are just south of Wailea and about a mile apart. My kids loved snorkeling and boogie boarding there. We also took the Pacific Whale Foundation's snorkel trip to Lanai, it was great and well worth the money. Coming back, the boat was surrounded by about 100 dolphins jumping out of the water. The kids loved it. There were sea turtles at the Maui Prince beach. My kids are 7 and 11.

amelie Aug 10th, 2004 06:52 AM

The days we tried to snorkel just south of Wailea it was too rough. We found the best snorkeling to be at Honolua Bay.

:)

snowrooster Aug 10th, 2004 06:57 AM

I can't remember any specific spots, but here is my tip . . . rent snorkel gear for the week (if you don't have your own) and the folks working at the snorkel shop will give you a map and highlight some good spots. We went to a great hidden rocky beach off a hidden trail (not exactly in Wailea but not far either) that we never would have found on our own.

Suzie Aug 10th, 2004 07:45 AM

BEST snokeling for us, which included a trip to Molokini and Black Rock in Kaanapali, was Ulua Beach in Wailea.

hmmm Aug 10th, 2004 11:24 AM

Ulua/Mokapu, Po'olenalena, Keawakapu, Wailea and Makena (at the Maui Prince) all are in the area and great for snorkeling. Most of the beaches are fairly small and crescent shaped, perfectly safe and calm, especially in the mornings. You can rent good equipment inexpensively and get good advice on current conditions from Snorkel Bob's or Maui Dive. You do not need to take a boat trip to get good snorkeling, though Pacific Whale Foundation has great trips and programs for children.

crazy4Hawaii Aug 10th, 2004 11:58 AM

The last time I looked, the Pacific Whale Foundation had free snorkeling lessons at Ulua Beach at 9am Tues. - Thurs. It would be an easy walk from where you're staying. Check out their website. I've been on one of those boat trips and suspect the snorkeling from the South Wailea beaches is usually just as good. Especially for small children.

ebtmsw Aug 10th, 2004 04:22 PM

We just got home saturday from maui with our 7 and 3 yr olds! What fun! We discovereda small spot just at the end of the road past our hotel in wailea- we stayed at the Fairmont- it at first looks a bitdeep and treacherous but it coulcn't have been more perfect we literaly stepped across the road and plopped into the water(no beach really just a few tidepools that were perfect for the 3 yr old to wade in) and there were soooo many fish to be seen - right there- no need to swim far etc. I will caution you- we tried to get to the aquarium and the fishbowl as found in maui revealked- it was beautiful but NOT for kids too jagged and we gave up after more than 30 minutes hiking. Beautiful up there but we would have preferred staying at the small bay I prev. mentioned longer with the kids. Another suggestion- buy and bring a small swim ring and bring it- you can get them at 99 cent stores or ppick and save for a buck(they chare6,7) for them there. It was a saviour in the water for our 7 yr old whilesnorkeling! she never got tired and just poke her head down whenever she wanted to see fish- worked well for our little one too!Come to think of it I think as others posted it was Uluua(sp) area- and we went in the afternoon and it was quiet and not crowded at all.Have fun!!