Snorkeling in Hawaii

Jul 8th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Tina

Snorkeling in Hawaii

We will be going to Maui and the Big Island in July. We will be traveling with two children ages 9 and 12. The older child has snorkeled before but the young on has not. Are there any good beaches to snorkel off of to try it out before we go on a snoreling boat?

Jul 8th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Sarah

Tina I too am travel with that age group I am finding through my reading that you need to be careful not all snorkel sights for adults are as safe for children. I am finding this from, "Kauai the ultimate guide book". The authors also do a book "The Big Island Revealed". This is the best guide I have found. Safety first contact a reputable sourse and to see what your kids can handle. Hawaii is the drowning capital of the U.S. Not meant to scare you it is just that we as mainlanders do not alway anticipate this kind of thing.

Jul 8th, 2001, 11:35 AM
cindy

I haven't been to Maui and I'm not sure which place you're going to first, but the beach in Kona on the Big Island next to the pier is a great place to start. The water is usually fairly calm, and there's a small reef not too far out where there are millions of fish. The beach is very sandy and the wateris easy to access.

Jul 8th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Bill

Black Rock in front of the Sheraton on Maui is great for first timers. Lots of fish, very calm. Another nice spot is up past the Kapalua resort area.Drive past the Kapalua turn off a few miles. You will come to a wide spot in the road and probably see alot of cars parked there, A path leads down to a very nice beach in a cove. Not as many fish as Black rock, but lots to see.

Search this Thread